Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running like crap after header install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Car running like crap after header install!!!

I just got done installing my jet hot LT's and a mufflex ORY pipe on my 00' WS6. I also went with no cats. Other than a rounded off exhaust manifold bolt that took FOREVER to get off, the process went pretty clean and easy. While I was taking care of installing the headers, I also got rid of all of the EGR and AIR junk at the same time. When I finally got everything back together and started the car up, the SES light came on and the car really started running like crap. The car seems to idle fine, but once you get in the car and start driving it, it backfires like crazy and the car falls on it's face for a second when you stomp on it, before it will get going, oh, and the horrible backfires. I ran the SES light and got these codes...
P0140 O2 Sensor CKT No Activity ( Bank 1 Sensor 2 )
P0160 O2 Sensor CKT No Activity ( Bank 2 Sensor 2 )
P0161 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction ( Bank 2 Sensor 2 )
P0405 EGR Flow Sensor A Circuit Low Input

I know that the EGR code is because I removed the EGR stuff, and shouldn't hurt my performance, and that the P0140 codes are for the Cat O2 sensors that aren't there. I ordered O2 Sims, thinking that was my problem and hopefully they should be here in a couple of days. I even changed my O2 sensors out that are in the Headers. Still doing it!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm tired of nursing the car off the line to keep it from backfiring. Thanks again guys!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked for mis-fires? Its easy to not get the wires back on the plugs all the way. Go back and double check that all plugs are in tight and that the wires are clicked all the way down onto the plugs as well as to the coil packs....you should hear two clicks when they are on all the way.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad01Z28
Checked for mis-fires? Its easy to not get the wires back on the plugs all the way. Go back and double check that all plugs are in tight and that the wires are clicked all the way down onto the plugs as well as to the coil packs....you should hear two clicks when they are on all the way.

Beat me to it , that happend to me I was really relieved to find it was the plugs, hope this is your problem lol
Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

i had the same problem plugs and wires fixed my problems
Old 05-31-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great input guys... I'll throw in some new plugs and wires and let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

what O2s do you have in the headers? The fronts right?

I think it might have something to do with O2s. Car will run like crap if you have the wrong ones in the headers. O2 Simms would help get rid of those codes too
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
what O2s do you have in the headers? The fronts right?

I think it might have something to do with O2s. Car will run like crap if you have the wrong ones in the headers. O2 Simms would help get rid of those codes too
Nah, on the f-bodies, at least the LS1 cars....front and rear O2's are the same sensor and they are interchangeable.....I guess GM just uses different part numbers because one set has a longer pigtail than the other (don't remember which one).

P.S.- I have one original front sensor and one original rear sensor on my headers...its been like that for a long time with no problems.

Last edited by Chad01Z28; 05-31-2005 at 08:42 PM.