Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug Emergency!!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcfast
Your statement doesn't have any supporting evidence for your claim. I know Delco is owned by GM thats a pretty well known fact. Delco probably contracts someone for there plugs. I'm going to look into it but the statement came straight from the horses mouth.

I just did a little bit of a google search and found nothing but it seems like delco makes there own plugs. Don't know why the guy at ngk said what he did. Eh whatever
Ask a different horse. Probably said it so you will buy NGK. I believe AC Delco manufactures their own plugs. Why put a $1 sparkplug in a $6K engine.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

ac-delco does make there own plugs but some of the new cars and trucks do come STOCK with ngk plugs it will say delco on the box but its a ngk in the box also some are nipendenso also
Old 06-12-2005, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

and for all of those that hink ngk plugs are for imports, your CRAZY!!! NGK is one of the best plugs around for standard copper plugs, also there iridium plugs kick *** over everything I have ever seen for iridium. I used to work at Oreilly Auto Parts, and can tell you from experience, we had several blown low 10 second cars running on NGK plugs, after my recomendation because they couldnt find anything that would last at ll and perform very well, and they loved the ngk plugs. NGK plugs are a great plug, and the only plug for yoru boats and lawnmowers is champion, sticking behind NGK all the way!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Check this link out: Article from 95 like i said where Rapidfire is reviewed as the baest thing to come out of GM R+D in a long time (or something like that). Also mentions the LT5 vette etc.
http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_gm_launches_new_3/
All i know is NGK makes only wiresets, plugs adn O2 sensors for Every make, whereas AC makes only GM parts. But this kind of clinches my ideology behind GM owning ACdelco

-phoenixta99
Old 06-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

And heres another quote from "Wikipedia" an online encyclopedia for everything:
"Chevrolet and GMC divisions produce trucks, as well as passenger vehicles. Other brands include ACDelco, Allison Transmission, and General Motors Electro-Motive Division that produces diesel-electric locomotives."
heres the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors

-phoenixta99
i didnt think i was wrong
Old 06-12-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

so would AcDelco rapidfire #8 be good for me car (sig. below)??
Old 06-12-2005, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

NGK or AutoLite ALL THE WAY... Go to the track and see what ALL of the fast cars are running.. I know plenty of 7 sec 1/4 mile race cars that are running the NGK "race" plugs and they love them.. If not NGK almost everyone else is running the AutoLite's..
Old 06-12-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

denso makes the plugs for ac-delco
Old 06-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
so would AcDelco rapidfire #8 be good for me car (sig. below)??
The #8's are supposed to be a step colder than stock, which is what I wanted. Last time I took one out to check it was right color and no sign of fouling or too cold. But one thing to beware of is that you wouldn't want to gap it bigger than about .050.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by patSS/00
The #8's are supposed to be a step colder than stock, which is what I wanted. Last time I took one out to check it was right color and no sign of fouling or too cold. But one thing to beware of is that you wouldn't want to gap it bigger than about .050.

so which rapidfire # should i get for stock heat range?
Old 06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
so which rapidfire # should i get for stock heat range?
I think that's #12.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Actually the gap fro LS1 are .060 adn teh gap fro LT1 is .050-crossreferenced both with computer at work and Haynes manual. Hope it helps!

note- certin lpugs (like champion) have different plug gaps than others; check them at the shop before you use them, but again, why the hell are you using $1.09 champions in a $20,000 car?)

phoenixta99
Old 06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

well just bought some NGK TR55 earlier today. what should i gap them at?

if spark plugs have never been changed and i have 54,000 miles will that get rid of pinging and will i tell a difference?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

MTI in Houston recommends NGK. And I think they know a little something about LS1 engines.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey guys just adding my two cents here. ive used just about every kind of plug out there. from champions, ngk, autolite,accel,ac delco even those with all the prongs that claim more power. id personally stick with stock unless your racing. im not saying the other plugs are bad (except champions. and i used them before i knew better). and as far as ac delco being made by another company, there are fakes. yes people make cheap spark plugs and try to pass them off as a brand name. i worked for chevrolet dealers for over 16 years in the parts dept. we got pictures of real and fake parts to compare,hard to tell the difference they even came in fake boxes. and yes even dealers sold these parts. its a shame the plugs arent easier to change in these cars you could buy a couple of different brands and compare.dont choices suck.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
There are pros and cons to each brand, but but I know Darrell Russell ran NGKs in his Alcohol Dragster for years before he started driving Top Fuel so they can't be all bad. They did get the plugs for free, but his brother Chris wouldn't have used them if they weren't any good free or not.

Watch it with those NGK's. I still use them and think they're good, but you do get a bad one every once in a while.

I had a bad misfire problem that took 2 days to diagnose. This plug broke UNDERNEATH where the ceramic goes under the metal plug body lip. Believe it or not, I pulled this plug TWICE to inspect it and nothing looked wrong, when pulling it for a 3rd and final time with the intention of replacing it. I yanked on the wire boot and half of it stayed attached to the boot, the half in the cylinder head.

And these are the expensive ones the Iridium TR6IX's. $5-6 each!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenixta99
And heres another quote from "Wikipedia" an online encyclopedia for everything:
"Chevrolet and GMC divisions produce trucks, as well as passenger vehicles. Other brands include ACDelco, Allison Transmission, and General Motors Electro-Motive Division that produces diesel-electric locomotives."
heres the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors

-phoenixta99
i didnt think i was wrong

Just so you know... Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit, meaning any person can write a definition for any word they want. These definitions are not regulated by any outside source as to their level of established correctness. Not saying you're wrong, but that's like quoting your friend in a research paper.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Wikipedia is montirerd by university professors- all edits are taken into account and reviewed. read the "about us" file. Wikipedia isnt some blog or "related topics" site

Quick Reply: Spark plug Emergency!!! Help!!