Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low coolant light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005 | 09:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low coolant light on

I had my radiator flushed last weekend. This afternoon my low coolant light came on. I went back to the service station and had them top it off and check for air etc....They found nothing. They say that my sensor must have failed due to the cleaning. Why is this sensor going on now? Do I have to replace the sensor or the resevoir bottle? Did they do something wrong. The radiator is full and so is the resevoir.
Old 07-13-2005 | 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks, did they forget to tighten the petcock(sp) valve at the bottom of the radiator. b/c you sometimes thing it is closed all the way but it may not be. as far as the sensor. well if they had to top it off then there is a leak somewhere. unless they filled it up then start it up and not recheck the fluid level. b/c when you do a flush all the coolant comes out even out of the block. so when you start the car the coolant is sucked in and of course your level will be low if they didnt check it after the car was running.
Old 07-13-2005 | 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the radiator is full and so is the reservoir, the sensor might be saved by cleaning. Its in the passenger side tank. It just pulls straight out. Clean it w/ alcohol or the like. If cleaning doesn't help, the sensor could be fried. Honestly, if I had that problem, I would just unplug the sensor and check the coolant regularly.
Old 07-13-2005 | 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me. About a week after I flushed the radiaitor, The low coolant light came on. Replaced the sensor, problem solved. You might want to try and clean it, I didn't bother. Easier to replace it than to jack with it. Its on the pass. side a few inches below the cap.
Old 07-13-2005 | 08:42 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

Thanks for your suggestions.