Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banging pacesetter ORY....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banging pacesetter ORY....

I've searched but I really dont see any good posts on how to make my pacesetter ory stop banging like a 3.00 crack *****...???? Anyone have any suggestions?? Also, can it cause KR???

Thanks! This thing is really buggin the **** outta me!!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I dont of any solutions. But I would sell the pace ORY and use that money towards the TSP ORY. Their ORY is adjustable, so you can tweak it around a bit untill its perfect - Just my opinion.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never done exhaust work, but it's just metal tubing banging on the metal floor right? Why couldn't you just tack weld a hanger in that spot? I'm sure it's too simple to work, because this has been a long standing problem, but I don't see the problem with it.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I've never done exhaust work, but it's just metal tubing banging on the metal floor right? Why couldn't you just tack weld a hanger in that spot? I'm sure it's too simple to work, because this has been a long standing problem, but I don't see the problem with it.

Any thoughts?

mufflex makes a "bumpstop" hangar specifically to stop the banging with the ypipe. its on thunderracing.com>>>>. $40.00 if i am correct
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stangkiller
mufflex makes a "bumpstop" hangar specifically to stop the banging with the ypipe. its on thunderracing.com>>>>. $40.00 if i am correct

NICE because I dont have 125.00 more to spend on another Y pipe right now...I need tires bad.

My car isnt all that impressive with the headers installed...I think I need a tune....
Old 07-21-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CaptUSA

Any thoughts?
My Pacesetter Y-Pipe had a hanger already welded to it. It mounts to one of the heat shield studs. This caused the car to vibrate so I had to trim the heat shield a little and wedge a rubber grommet between the mount and car body. Worked great for about a month and then the bracket broke off the y-pipe. I re-welded it back on and it broke two weeks later. Now it bangs off the floor and I noticed that the car is pulling timing bad. That could be another issue but it did not start until the y-pipe mount broke. I would go with the TSP adjustable or take the pacesetter y-pipe and crimp it just a little. We used a large bench vise for this on my buddy's car. It doesn't rattle like mine.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NXZ28
My Pacesetter Y-Pipe had a hanger already welded to it. It mounts to one of the heat shield studs. This caused the car to vibrate so I had to trim the heat shield a little and wedge a rubber grommet between the mount and car body. Worked great for about a month and then the bracket broke off the y-pipe. I re-welded it back on and it broke two weeks later. Now it bangs off the floor and I noticed that the car is pulling timing bad. That could be another issue but it did not start until the y-pipe mount broke. I would go with the TSP adjustable or take the pacesetter y-pipe and crimp it just a little. We used a large bench vise for this on my buddy's car. It doesn't rattle like mine.

I have the same bracket on mine but it didnt help things....I'm getting a HUGE power loss....
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01black
I have the same bracket on mine but it didnt help things....I'm getting a HUGE power loss....

try out the mufflex bump stop hangar, should work out for you, i never hear any complaints.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stangkiller
try out the mufflex bump stop hangar, should work out for you, i never hear any complaints.
Where does the Mufflex Bump Stop hanger get welded/secured down to? Obviously one end is attached to the pipe, but is it supposed to mount in the factory position?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

or ya could do like me and take it to tha local muffler shop and have em weld a hanger in place for 20$, it stoped my banging but i still have a little viberation from the floreboard.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

as sooon as i put my pacesetters on with y i broke the bracket......i just snapped right off. i might have to buy a new y if not just try the bump stop
Old 08-07-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you guys mount the bracket?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Poly Engine Motor mounts - stop the problem at the source or the movement IMO.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Poly Engine Motor mounts - stop the problem at the source of the movement IMO.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was banging for awhile.. Then I got some heater hose (about 4"-6" long) placed between the Y pipe and floor board, drilled a hole thrue it (the hose) and the floor board. Got a pop rivet and a washer and fastened it all up. Nice and sturdy and not a single bang yet!! Worked pretty good!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you guys are breaking brackets then your engine is moving way too much. Your next mod needs to be poly motor mounts.

Your car will feel so much tighter while driving afterwards with no engine movement to break brackets and no vibrations.

I recommend Prothane.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Where does the Mufflex Bump Stop hanger get welded/secured down to? Obviously one end is attached to the pipe, but is it supposed to mount in the factory position?
The other end seats around one of the bolts from the heat shield. Which is a problem, or it was to me. I was going ot try the Mufflex hangar to fix my banging, but there was no room to mount the hangar onto that bolt and still match it up with the peice that fits around the pipe. The only way you could get it to fit was to prevent side-to-side motion, which wasn't going to help me. I think it depends where it's hitting also. Mine is hitting all the way back right before the merge collector on the drivers side, right around the torque arm. So I think even if I could have gotten it mounted it would have been so far forward that I think the rear might still have banged.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
The other end seats around one of the bolts from the heat shield. Which is a problem, or it was to me. I was going ot try the Mufflex hangar to fix my banging, but there was no room to mount the hangar onto that bolt and still match it up with the peice that fits around the pipe. The only way you could get it to fit was to prevent side-to-side motion, which wasn't going to help me. I think it depends where it's hitting also. Mine is hitting all the way back right before the merge collector on the drivers side, right around the torque arm. So I think even if I could have gotten it mounted it would have been so far forward that I think the rear might still have banged.
I can't really tell where mine is hitting. I called Thunder and they said there is no drilling required. So I ordered one and will let you guys know if it fixes the problem. They've been backordered though so it might not be for a few weeks.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Mine was banging for awhile.. Then I got some heater hose (about 4"-6" long) placed between the Y pipe and floor board, drilled a hole thrue it (the hose) and the floor board. Got a pop rivet and a washer and fastened it all up. Nice and sturdy and not a single bang yet!! Worked pretty good!
Kind of did the same thing here...took a piece of heater hose, stuck a squirrel clamp through it (or whatever the hell those adjustable clamps with the screw are called) and just fastened it around the Y-pipe at the source of the banging...worked like a charm.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rush7
Kind of did the same thing here...took a piece of heater hose, stuck a squirrel clamp through it (or whatever the hell those adjustable clamps with the screw are called) and just fastened it around the Y-pipe at the source of the banging...worked like a charm.
It works and its super cheap. I used a piece of flame resistant 3/8" hose between the floorboard and the y and all of the banging stopped, or is at least damped.