Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Tensioner Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Belt Tensioner Problem

I have a 01 SS and I had a shop install the katech belt tensioner,Well it was fine for a couple months.When I was driving home last night I got on the car and next then I know no power steering this was on the highway around a curve to doing 65 mph well I realize after a few seconds that the temp has shoot up all the way to 260 I pull over right away.I see the the car is spewing coolant threw the overflow.The belt is gone and the actual tensioner is gone no where to be found the bracket it mounts to is there but the tensioner isnt there.Dont know how that could have happened.

Did I mess up motor running for 20 seconds with the temp all the way up before I noticed it?Thanx in advance
Old 07-24-2005, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

20 seconds isn't enough time to hurt it most likely. I guess the tensioner bolt just worked itself loose?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

Thanx nine ball for your input,I just read that you have to peridically check the tightness on the tensioner bolts.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Same thing just happened to me, but it wasn't my tensioner it was my ASP crank pulley... The rubber in between the inner and outer parts had come loose so the outside is misaligned and it threw the belt and chewed it into pieces. I'm guessing its the old style pulley since I bought it used and it was already installed. Just got a stock crank pulley and belt, now I just need to get another crank bolt.

My temp shot up just like yours. I had just left my place so I babied it back home, hopefully I didn't mess it up either. I couldn't have been more than a mile away.