Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant Cold Air Induction Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
The good ol chewing gum test . Stuck a few pieces a few inches apart all around. It acctually rests on it right before it latches in. I have to give it a little extra push. That and it has made a contact mark on the underside from were the rubber meets the hood. I think since a volant is an upgrade option for a z29, they took it's design into account when they made the mold for the hood.
That's odd... I used toothpaste, and noticed that only my back third seals to my ram air hood.... The box also gets pushed down when I latch it, and the center front section of the box (area between the two filters) bends upward. Anyone had a problem like this w/ the ram air hood?

Maybe keeping the center section from bending will solve my sealing issues.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Were can i get one for a good price?

Thanks Guys!!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks great
Old 08-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

I like the looks of this but a few questions.....I have the FIPK and I have that heat shield over it. I don't have the old stock shield and was wondering if you need it with this system? Also, are the filters re-usable like k&n or do you replace them like a regualr filter? Lastly, this isn't just for SS AND RAM-AIR hoods correct?
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys with the firebird twin filter design, can someone tell me the dimensions of the filter?

What is the largest diameter=
Small diameter on the end=
Outer diameter of the tubing they slide on to=
The filter length=

I'm also wondering about the hoods it fits. Will it clear on a regular TA hood or is it only for the Ram Air?

FloridaZ, could you show those pictures again? They are not showing up. Thanks.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-13-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

The filters are reuseable
Old 08-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

oh....and also....the breather filter I notice is inside the system where the one for my FIPK is on the driver side . Was/Is there a tube that runs from the driver side to that breather filter? If so I gotta get one.
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gordonloser
I like the looks of this but a few questions.....I have the FIPK and I have that heat shield over it. I don't have the old stock shield and was wondering if you need it with this system? Also, are the filters re-usable like k&n or do you replace them like a regualr filter? Lastly, this isn't just for SS AND RAM-AIR hoods correct?
Thanks
Dave
By heat shield do you mean the radiator shroud? The piece that holds the top of the radiator in place. The Volant base has that molded in.

The tube I think you are refering to is the fresh air inlet for the air injection pump that runs when you first crank up the engine. It's not real important. Your car should have that tube, you can just add a small filter and tuck it out of the way.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

ahhh....heat shroud Well with my FIPK, I believe that where the tube used to run from the stock lid to there, the tube is no longer and the filter is just clamped right on top. But with the volant kit it looks like that filter is inside so does that mean that the tube needs to run from that filter to that air inlet thingy that is towards the front of the car on the drivers side?
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your FIPK came with a new sheetmetal radiator shroud. It has a hole on the drivers side that can be used to hold the little filter. If you switch over to the Volant you can run that hose to a new filter located just inside the filter heat shield on the same side or just tuck that little filter out of the way. It doesn't matter. You can cut that tube down to a couple of inches and mount the filter down by the pump if you want. I think Volant made that hole in the side for the little filter just for looks. You don't have to use that hole.

Does that help you understand?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks