Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Hate Slp Headers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt remove all that either.just jacked the motor and trans over with a pry bar and they slid right in after a few trial and error attempts.i havent bottomed mine out at all even goin over speed bumps. the band clamps hit tho.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to see a comparison with the SLP headers and a different set of headers on the same car and dyno. Tons of people bash the SLP's and claim they dont make power. Im putting down 422hp 399 tq with stock heads and a .579 lift cam. Install wasnt bad either. However I dont like how low they hang but im gonna lower the car an inch or so anyway.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAzz96Z28
I would like to see a comparison with the SLP headers and a different set of headers on the same car and dyno. Tons of people bash the SLP's and claim they dont make power. Im putting down 422hp 399 tq with stock heads and a .579 lift cam. Install wasnt bad either. However I dont like how low they hang but im gonna lower the car an inch or so anyway.
LS6 intake, SLP LT's: 425/390
90/90, QTP HVM LT's: 460/403

TEA 1.5's 5.3 & TSP 231/237

SOTP feel: marvelous
Old 08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

im gonna be changing from my SLP's to pacesetters and will probablly get the car dynoed again. however it will be with a new clutch, rearend, and duals. also there might be a pulley and TB in there too
Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

I had my SLP headers off the car in about 45 minutes.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

my FLPs are soft steel coated with garbage stuff....consequently after 3 years they are rusting like a POS. They never fit well either....

I thought the SLP are made of stainless steel so they dont rust.... besides being a pain to install, they are OK...

All-n-all, if givin the chance again, I would NEVER install LTs again... I'm not convinced the stock exhaust is that bad and the pollution inspection troules are just not worth the few extra HPs in my opinion.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:19 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ It's not just a few extra HP. More like 50-100hp (over stock manifolds) in some cases , when you're talking about a heads/cam setup.

I'd say that LT's are THE essential building block for all othe mods on the LS1, so I don't understand why more people don't invest in High Velocity Merge Collector LT's from either Kooks or QTP, even if they are more expensive.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I bought my headers I had never heard of LS1 tech or researched headers for f-bodies. I got mine off of ebay at a decent price for the SLP's. However I would not buy another set I would love to have Kooks but I cant see spending the money to get the kooks, take the SLP's off and may not see any power difference for sure and only see better clearances. I plan on doing TEA heads and a 90/90 set up when the funds are avaliable and I will see what the SLP's will do then. I would be willing to swap my SLP headers for kooks and dyno before and after and purchase them IF there was a improvement and return them if not. Anyone take me up on that? Id be willing to bet no one would.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should hear the hate the SLP headers get from the Grand Prix crowd. Still looking for an F-Body, but if I get one, it will never get any SLP products after my experience with their headers on my GTP.

The ones on my GTP are about a year and a half old, have 11 track passes, and are already rusting badly (supposed to be ceramic coated stainless steel). That, and the flex pipe they supplied ticks like mad, such that most people have to wrap it with header wrap to stop the noise. Also, the crossover leaks. Their official answer to all the GP crowd complaints was "send them in and we'll inspect them." So we get to pay more shipping, suffer downtime, and MAYBE we'll get a replacement.

They do make power though.

I just find it interesting that a lot of people here have had bad experiences as well. - sorry if the slight off topicness offends anybody

Quick Reply: I Hate Slp Headers!!!!