Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly trans mount in...y-pipe banging gone! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly trans mount in...y-pipe banging gone! (long)

I would just like to share my experience with the rest of you with this Prothane Polyurethane trans mount I finally got around to installing a couple days ago.

First, I'd like to thank installuniveristy.com for being a bad *** resource for many popular and simple mods us F-body guys will come across sooner or later.

I'd like to make a suggestion for the directions in the write up though. Not all of us are smart enough to know (or maybe it's just me ) that after the new mount is in and you've re-installed the trans x-member, you must remove the jack so that the trans rests on the x-member. It is very important to do this so you don't snap the trans mount stud! I broke two cause I'm a dumbass. Hopefully, nobody else will make this mistake.

I just think the directions should have plainly stated this for the mentally challanged, like myself.

Now on to my observations:

1. The y-pipe banging is completely gone under any and all throttle applications!

2. Before the car is fully warmed up, there is a noticeable increase in cabin vibrations while cruising near 2000 rpms. Oddly enough, the change in my cup holder doesn't rattle, but I can feel the vibrations in my seat.

3. Once fully warmed up, there is no noticeable increase in cabin vibrations whatsoever (up to speeds of 80 mph in D, or about 2500 rpms). I was pretty happy about this.

4. When I first had the converter installed, I complained about slow 1-2 shifts. With the y-pipe banging gone, it seems that the false knock is also gone, and the 1-2 shift feels much more crisp although still a little slow. I haven't had any tuning done though, so that is expected.

All in all, I am VERY happy with this mod and wish I had done it sooner. Y-pipe banging is gone, false knock is gone, and torque management is easing up on my 1-2 shifts, pulling less timing. All while sacrficing NOTHING in the driveability department.

I hope someone finds this review helpful. I tried covering all the questions I had before purchasing the mount. If anybody has any other scenarios they'd like me to try, I'd be glad to help out and let them know how the mount reacts.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

what was the y pipe banging on? Mine is a 3in O/R Y and you can clearly feel it hit the floor under acceleration. I ordered the Mufflex Y pipe Bump Stop to see if this will stop it. The exhaust shop told me there wasnt anything they could do and I know im getting some knock retard from it.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Launching!

mine was hitting the floorboard right about where my left hamstring/knee would be, installed the prothane mount and voila......no more knocking, and i notice that the car definitely pulls harder in first and second without the knock sensors thinking some **** is wrong......all in all, great mod!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

exactly what slpss9723 said. The y-pipe bangs on the floor.

Just an observation today. I just got home from work, and on the way, I took a left turn while getting on it, and I could barely feel the y-pipe banging again

After the car was fully warmed it DIDN'T do it again!

This is the best non performance mod to date.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Launching!

i dont know..all i did was take a crowbar to the ypipe..and poof..no more banging noise any more..and im using the pacesetter ypipe..

strange..how some people have to use new poly motor mounts and some dont..
Old 08-02-2005, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

My stock trans mount is broke so my ypipe is beatin the hell out of my floorboard.. But, it only does it at low speeds in 1st gear while under a load going up hill.. And yes it will make the computer do stupid things..

Quick Reply: Poly trans mount in...y-pipe banging gone! (long)