Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator charge voltage

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator charge voltage

So I have my alternator problem fixed kind of, had to replace the alternator and add a inline resistor, but now when its charging i don't see more than 12.7 volts and while the car works long as it runs for long periods of time, we have lots of short fire ups and it eventually gets worn down.

Suggestions?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you reading the 12.7V at? You should be getting 14V right on the back of the altenator. If you have it there, check for it at the red junction terminal. Where did you add an inline resistor?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by smoknta
Where are you reading the 12.7V at? You should be getting 14V right on the back of the altenator. If you have it there, check for it at the red junction terminal. Where did you add an inline resistor?

This post is helpful because the last 2 days my alternator has been reading 11.5 to 12.5 at idle and at cruise it is at 12.5 to 13.3. This is from my guage and from my interceptor guage which takes the information directly from my OBDII.

Consequently, I am looking to replace the serpentine belt and/or the alternator. If it is an alternator I am checking for the best to buy but do not want to spend $270.00 for a GM replacement if I can get it cheaper and not from AutoZone (since they seem to have a bad rap here).