Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust headers

hi i have a 99 ws6 and i am going to be installing the SLP long tube headers and y pipe set up. I have a few questions that hopefully someone will be able to help me with. 1. should i go with the high-flow cat set up or no cats? why? 2. i was also looking at the QTP electric cut off. is it worth it and what will it exactly do for me power wise? thanks soo much
Old 08-03-2005, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Why did you select SLP headers?
2. Cats will: reduce emissions, smooth out sound, cost about 10+ Hp, make the system quieter.
3. Cut outs benefit will depend on your exhaust
Old 08-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Staging Lane

i chose slp because i was told that they have the best setup and i already have an slp cat back
Old 08-03-2005, 04:04 AM
TECH Regular

I guess they failed to tell you that they have the absolute worst ground clearance. Return them now if you can.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by shawn's SS
I guess they failed to tell you that they have the absolute worst ground clearance. Return them now if you can.
Do you have them?!?? Ummm.... Not so much. I have them and I have not had a problem w/ them. Sorry, but I'm tired of PPL bashing the SLP headers.. I think they look great and they perform just as good. Remember the old addage, You get what you pay for.....

Cats or not cats. It doesn't make too much of a difference. It just relocates the TQ in your powerband. No Cats=high RPM TQ.... Cats=low RPM TQ. Having the cats also helps kill the rasp. I have the Random Tech HF cats. I have no problem w/ my setup. As long as you're not an idiot and try to go flying over speed bumps and other obstructions. Don't go lower than 1" if you lower the car. Then, yes, you WILL have god awful ground clearance. I think my Y-pipe sits lower than the header collectors do.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 08-03-2005 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Just like bayer said, I don't know why people are always bashing on these SLP headers. There really is no big issues with them. Just because they have poor ground clearance does not mean they perform poorly.

To the original writer, I had the SLP headers on my car for a year with the cats. Last weekend I took off my cats and replaced them with the straight pipes that you can buy seperate from Tbyrne ($150 with 02 sims). It seemed to respond different at first but then I got used to it again.

I run mine through a Loudmouth and it sounds pretty good. If you want to pay a little more for cats and the security of legality they give you then go for it. You can always buy race pipes later. Its a tad quieter with cats but you have that piece of mind. Either way you go, you can't go wrong. Good luck!