Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP Y-pipe

Is it true that their y-pipe needs to be dented for the crossmember on the car? I am looking to purchase one and the seller said that it is dented for clearance and that I would have to do it to a brand new one the same way to get it to work. I am just curious if this is really needed b/c I don't want anything to restrict the pipe.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:07 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Thats the first time I have heard about denting the tsp y to get it to fit. I didnt have to anything to the ory that I bought off of them. It tucks up really good, I have had no problems at all with mine
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

I dented mine, still did not give me enough clearance when I went to WOT. Had to go with poly motor mounts to finally fix the problem. The short piece off of the driver side header is what I had problems with. It would be better if it was bent some more, but
it can be adjusted to not hit although it will hang pretty low. I believe I adjusted it to like 3 - 3 1/2" clearance from the ground, and at least 1" between the car floor and pipe. I used one of the exhaust clamps to dipple it a little. Just be very patient putting it together, and do not make the mistake I did of clamping it all together then deciding to readjust everything. Once we put a 3" pipe under our cars there is just not many inches left.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Dats a 1st for me. I had never herd of that. I have the TSP ORY with sportlines and it tucks up real nice. Yea, like 2" off the floor nice . Its a good ory all around for the pric e.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

I am still trying to install mine. The y and I dia. are the same size
and do not slide together I gues you have to get it welded I wish I
would have bought pacesetter y because I am not mechanically
inclined and pacesetter is one piece no adjustment.
John

Last edited by john shea; 08-10-2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by john shea
John
That's odd. What catback are you running? With my Hooker, the I-pipe necks down a bit to slide INTO the y-pipe. Unless the y necks down also, the problem could be your I-pipe.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine went on perfect, no prbs
Old 08-11-2005, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

I am stock from I back
Old 08-11-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No denting of mine either.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Why don't you guys install a true dual exhaust system on your cars with both pipes going over the axle and exiting out the rear from beneath the rear bumper in their stock locations? That way you will do away with that stupid "Y" pipe also. With true duals going out the rear, there will be none of that roaring drone inside your car. What noise there is, is out behind you. With true duals, you will pick up a bit of horsepower and torque as well as a sound that is deep and throaty. The sound that is truly that of a real muscle car.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by john shea
John
Hey John, sometimes the peices are hard to slip inside one another but if you stick a pry bar in the inside lip and pull outward it should bend just enough to slip one pipe inside the other. The pipe is made to where you can use the band clamps to keep the pipe together and leak free for easy removal if its ever needed to remove the transmission..etc. It just takes a little patience and time to get the pipe to fit right, and trust me I've seen more cases of the pacesetter Y-pipe rubbing than the TSP ypipe even though the pacesetter y is flattened to allow for clearance. The driver's side peice is made to slide on a certain amount to get the point where it is clearanced for the framing under the car, once you get that peice positioned right the rest should fall in place.

-Zach
Old 08-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Teching In

the stock y pipe is flattened on the driver's side for ground clearence, not for the crossmember. i have the texas speed catted y pipe and there is no dents in it. you will simply have less ground clearence once it is installed. i probably have 3-4 inches of ground clearence under the driver's side y pipe.