Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP catted y or not????

Old 08-11-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP catted y or not????

I cant decide wheather or not I want to get the tsp catted y to go with my pacesetter headers I am going to get. I am looking for some numbers between the two. You know, what power loss is there associated with the catted y. The reason being, where I live, they dont do emissions testing but they do look for your cats. Also I am not sure if I am going to keep the loudmouth I have or toss a bullet on there. Either way, would I loose any power with the catted y? My mods are in my sig, and I dont plan on doing much more for a while.

Thanks
Fry
Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Our TSP catted y-pipe uses carsound high flow bullet style cats for the best performance available in a catted style y-pipe. I wouldnt think you would see too much of a power loss between an ORY setup and a catted setup....Ideally ~5rwhp. The catalytic converters will also help drown out the rasp of the loudmouth exhaust. If emissions are a factor in your inspection then I would go ahead and go with the catted y-pipe just to be safe.

Hope this helps!!

-Zach
Old 08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zach,
would your TSP off road y pipe slip right on to the slp loudmouth exhaust system?
or is welding required?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard a few things recently about ground clearance, and having to dent the drivers side to clear. I can understand some ground clearance issues due to the fact of the placement of the drivers side cat, but on a stock ride height camaro what is the normal clearance? Also, is it true that some people have to dent a pipe on the drivers side, or is that an installation thing (do it right and you dont have the problem)? I am sure I will go with the catted Y, but I really would like to see hp numbers between the two.

Thanks
Fry
Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frey51
Also, is it true that some people have to dent a pipe on the drivers side, or is that an installation thing (do it right and you dont have the problem)?
I did not have to dent the driver's side at all. The Catted Y fit very well, and is adjustable so you can play with it and get it good and close against the bottom of the car. I'm looking to lower my car about 1 inch and I'm sure I won't have any problems with clearance. I scrape the front air dam more than I ever do my Y.

As for power, I can't give you a comparison, but with the mods in my sig, I made 343 hp and 357 tq (tuned), and that was on a very hot motor. If i had let it cool down and made another pull, I probably would have been closer to 348-350hp, and 360+ tq. I was very pleased.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the numbers man, I appreciate it. With the fact that you made close to 350 at the wheels with the pacesetters and catted y I have finally made up my mind. That is what I was thinking of getting and this just assures me of the possible gains, plus my car is pretty strong so I know that I can get near or above that number. Thanks alot man.

Fry
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. Keep in mind, I made that with the notorious "Blowmaster". The only reason I can see your car making any lower numbers would be the fact that you have 4.10 gears. I picked up almost 30 hp at the wheels just from adding the Pacesetter LTs and TSP catted Y. Car was tuned with HP Tuners. You will not be disappointed.

Search this Thread