Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut out and headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut out and headers

i'm considering the mac headers w/cats. but my question is can they be hooked up to pass emissions? and are the cats really that awful(i've read some posts)

my other questions is, if i went with the mac headers would it make sense to go with a cutout. i don't feel like spending the money on a catback for 200-800 dollars. i have a 2002 WS6, which is said to have less restrictive exhuast then say a regular trans am, so how restritive is the muffler that came with the WS6? and would this setup make sense in terms of gaining horsepower.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

FYI...https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/364677-tweeked-mac-s-custom-y.html

Just another option for you...

Originally Posted by methane
i'm considering the mac headers w/cats. but my question is can they be hooked up to pass emissions? and are the cats really that awful(i've read some posts)

my other questions is, if i went with the mac headers would it make sense to go with a cutout. i don't feel like spending the money on a catback for 200-800 dollars. i have a 2002 WS6, which is said to have less restrictive exhuast then say a regular trans am, so how restritive is the muffler that came with the WS6? and would this setup make sense in terms of gaining horsepower.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:18 AM
Launching!

yeah I've seen flow numbers that show they are pretty crapy, personally I'd go with some carsound cats, I got mine form ebay for 40 bucks each and they flow great, actually one of the best flowing you can get thanks to the small amount of cat stuff on the inside and they are CARB approved. that or use the stock cats which are pretty small, so fit nicely underneath. I also didn't want to spend the extra money for a new catback, you'll gain more with a cutout than a catback, unless its an open borla or loudmouth which problably flows just as good, but then is loud all the time. I once had a loud exhaust but after a while it got old since it made the radio sound worse-I couldn't hear all the slight sounds over the rumble- it made my girlfriends mad as well, they didn't want to drive in the car. With the electric cutout i just hit the swtich and the noise level is determined by how much I open it up. One second has a nice rumble and a 3 second full open cutout is like NASCAR If you want a little more rumble out of the car, you could always do it the old fashion way by drilling holes in the muffler to let it flow better. But for performance and sound I say get a cutout, besides if you add a big cam or heads it gonna get louder, so its nice to keep it stealth until you open the cutout.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by methane
Depends on where you live/type of test. Macs w/cats pass the visual most of the time.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

i live in connecticut