Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cats?

My exhaust smells like rotten egg when I run hard. Is it cats? The car is a 00 SS bone stock on everything. If cats r bad can i put straight pipe without putting codes?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get codes with no cats. Either have them tuned out with something like LS1 edit or HP Tuners, or buy O2 sims. I dislike O2 sims and suggest to always go the tuning route if possible.

Do you plan exhaust mods in the future?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to the auto parts store and look for cat cleaner. Not sure of the name but there are a few products the clean the cats up a bit. You put it in your gas tank...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You will get codes with no cats. Either have them tuned out with something like LS1 edit or HP Tuners, or buy O2 sims. I dislike O2 sims and suggest to always go the tuning route if possible.

Do you plan exhaust mods in the future?
why do you hate o2 sims?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

the cats r there for better smell,,to clean the bad smell from the engine for polotion
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think he hates o2 sims caues your just putting a band aid on the problem. If an o2 sim goes bad you will need to buy another one. Besides your money is much better spend towards the purchace of a programmer than towards o2 sims espically if you plan on future upgrades
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
i think he hates o2 sims caues your just putting a band aid on the problem. If an o2 sim goes bad you will need to buy another one. Besides your money is much better spend towards the purchace of a programmer than towards o2 sims espically if you plan on future upgrades
Exactly. When I intalled my headers a couple years ago I paid $80 for a pair of sims and one of them didn't work right out of the box, so I had an engine light. When I took the car to speed inc for their duals they replaced it free of charge since I had ordered it from them. About one year later I got an SES light within a week of returning to LS1 speed for a converter swap and basic tune. An O2 sim had gone bad (again), and was responsible for the code.

Considering the price of a "basic tune" or tuning software and how much more you can do besides deleting that one code your money is much better spent on editing the computer than buying O2 sims. After all, in the end I could have saved $80 by just getting the stupid basic tune to begin with.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Its smells like rotten egg because your running lean.