Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TD with Sweet Thunders

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TD with Sweet Thunders

Ok...here's my rant.

I purchased 18" Sweet Thunders and then took the car to an exaust shop and asked them if they would be able to fab up a TD system using the Sweet Thunders over the axle and they said "Oh yeah, no problem". So I left the car there and they went to work on it. They called about 4 hours later and said that the Sweet Thunders will not work on the car and that TDs are IMPOSSIBLE. I argued that it is possible and that there are many f-bods with TD and Sweet Thunders. Well the guy said that he wouldn't be able to do the TD setup. The guy also said that they had already started fabbing up a new 3" y-pipe and were going to fab up the rest using 3" pipe. Now what really pisses me off is A) They didn't ask me first if it was OK to do a y-pipe system. B) I already have SLP Loudmouth cat-back on the car. C)they are going to use the SLP muffler instead of the Sweet Thunders D) I wasted a bunch of money. What would you guys do? Should I refuse to pay for it since it wasn't what I wanted in the first place and it is basically the exact same setup that I had before?

Can someone post a pic of a TD over the axle. I found lots of dumped TDs but none that are over the axle. I want to show this guy that it IS possible.

Thanks

BTW...For Sale: 2 18" Sweet Thunder 2.5" ID

Last edited by 69huggerZ; 08-19-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

......as stupid as that sounds, I have personally run into many exhaust shops who tell people "true duels can not be done on an F-body....period...."

just go find someone else....anyone that is that stupid/hard headed, I wouldn't want them around my car..........
Old 08-19-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Refuse to pay, and burn down their shop later on tonight after they close.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
and the take the car somewhere else.......
Old 08-19-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

...And this is the exact reason I bought my TDs from Texas Speed.

I didn't want to mess with an inexperienced exhaust shop, I didn't want to be upset when they fabbed something that I didn't like, and I didn't want to waste money, period.

$420 for a pre-fabbed exhaust setup that is proven to work, sound and dyno well? That's a steal in my book, and one hell of a headache saver.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would refuse to pay, or at most pay them for an hour of work. They did something completely different than you requested, without even asking. If you don't back down they will eventually work out a deal with you.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I worked there I'd be like "No, you're gonna take this exhaust, and you're gonna pay for it."
Old 08-19-2005, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still have stock manifolds?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

damn, i had almost the same problem except they called me after 6 hours and said they just couldnt do it. i called another shop in the area who's worked on countless f-bods and they said yes they could do it, took it there the next morning.

seriously, screw them, pickup your car and dont pay for ANYTHING. thats bad business. and if they hassle you a lot about paying for what they've done tell em your gonna complain to the better business bureau and write articles to newspapers on how bad there business is etc. the more bitching on your half, the better goodluck
Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
seriously, screw them, pickup your car and dont pay for ANYTHING. thats bad business. and if they hassle you a lot about paying for what they've done tell em your gonna complain to the better business bureau and write articles to newspapers on how bad there business is etc. the more bitching on your half, the better goodluck

Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Good idea. I'll have to try that.

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Do you still have stock manifolds?
Yes . LTs will go on when I have the car paid off. I just wanted to get rid of the Loudmouth because I hated the sound (previous owner's bright idea). But since they put the muffler from the loudmouth back on its gona sound the same .

Oh well, live and learn
Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't bother with duals until you get headers. Do some searches on dynomouth and borlamouth. A Borla XR-1 in the I-pipe instead of the resonator makes a bit of a difference.

What exactly is the end result of their work?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
What exactly is the end result of their work?
Basically it's the same as before except now it has 3" exhaust with my old Loud Mouth muffler. So all it is is a 3" y-pipe and a 3" Loud Mouth cat-back.

I also had them get rid of the cats and install some O2 sims...I know bad idea, but the sims are only temporary until I get a programmer.

The only bad thing is that I live in South Dakota (in the middle of nowhere)...and good exhaust shops are hard to find. I had to drive 60 miles just to get to this shop which was supposed to be a good shop. So I guess I'll have to do some searching in order to find a place that will do TDs on an f-bod.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

DO NOT PAY FOR IT... If you didnt want it, then why should you pay for it? And why in the hell do you need our opinion?? Bust up in there and say "Hey buddy, this isn't what I wanted done, you didnt say you were gonna do this new setup of yours, you didnt say that you couldnt do what I wanted SO THEREFORE I'M NOT PAYIN YOU ****!

Get in your car and go home...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Good luck. I hate having to take my baby to a shop.

Bill
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

I see, you went from stock y-pipe to 3" ORY?

At this point in time
Well the guy said that he wouldn't be able to do the TD setup. The guy also said that they had already started fabbing up a new 3" y-pipe and were going to fab up the rest using 3" pipe
who contacted who, and what did you tell them when they said what they had done and were going to do?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that. I've had to deal with dumbasses before, it sucks!!
I know its not what you wanted, but thats not a bad setup. It should flow more than enough for your mods and having stock manifolds. So after you tear 'em a new one, and get it all worked out, live with it til you get headers, then get the TD's. You can always sell the 3" ORY and muffler. Thats what I did, when I went TD's. You'd be suprised how many people want a 3" setup, but dont want headers.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

So did they hack up your existing stock Y pipe? or Loadmouth? Are you stuck without your original parts?

If you get into a bind, just take your original parts, sweet thunders and everything else you provide and tell them to take the labor and new Y pipe and shove it up their ***. You are the customer and they did not do what you specified. You had a verbal agreement on the exhast design and tehy preceded with something total different.

I hate local shops. I called all over for a year and a half. I finally drove down to Baltimore, MD from Jersey to do it right so I know how frustrating it is. Like someone else said, rock the TSP duals when you get headers.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

When it comes to something custom, you want to try to take it to a shop that is more geared towards modding cars or to someone who works at a shop you know can modify cars.