Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help Major Oil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Major Oil Problem

F*ing christ ive had my 01 ss for about 4 months as soon as i purchased it i changed the oil, about a month ago i noticed it was mabey a quart or more low ,?s, ive been watching for any leaks under the car and i have never seen any oil underneath or in the engine bay , just last night my low oil light came on and it probably only had a quart in it if that, it doesnt smoke AT ALL and there is no visible leaks in the engine bay or underneath, WHATS going on what could make it loose that much oil without a major leak somewhere has any one had any probs like that,,,, HHHHEEEEELLLPPPP
Old 08-21-2005, 10:47 AM
Launching!

What weight and type oil are you running? Try running a heavier weight, I just switched to the Amsoil 5W40. The oil is probally going through the PCV. Put a catch can on. You can purchase one @ AMW for $90.00 (it is a really nice piece), or you can make one from a compressor air/oil seperator from Wal-Mart for $12.00. The home made one will not look as nice or have the same capacity, but it is effective if you don't mind the looks and frequent dumping.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

IM running a 10w40 now but if i was losing oil at the pcv wouldnt it still smoke
?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Not necessarilly, mine sucks oil throught he PCV especially when I am on it, and never smokes at all. Put a catch can on and you will be amazed how much oil you catch in the can.I have less than 100 miles on my catch can and I already have a puddle at the bottom. 10W40 is a good weight, but is it dino or synthetic. If Dino I would try a full sythetic as in Mobil 1 or Amsoil in a 10W40 to see if that helps too. If you need help making a catch can PM me and I will let you know everything you need. For less than $20 it is worth trying to see how much you are sucking through the PCV.