Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust poping problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust poping problem

i need some help please......i have a 99 z28 and i just put a loudmouth exhaust, slp intake, and i replaced the plugs.....the car sounds awesome and i love it except for when i let off the gas such as shifting gears it pops....i had my check engine light come on and the code was egr feedback signal out of range......i replaced the egr vavle and havent had it come bac since and the poping even sounds alittle better but it still pops now and then when i let off the throttle....is this normal and something i just have to deal with or is something wrong because the pops get annoying.....by the way it pops alot more when the motor is cold.....
Old 08-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

i dont have a LS1 but i know the LM on the v6's "pop" alot when you let off the throttle quickly. its normal i gusse. i think any really free-flowing exhuast is going to rasp/pop ect.this is why ORY's rasp more than catted Y's do.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The popping is normal, usually happens more at higher rpms and then letting off the throttle. Never had an SES come on for it.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

it's unburned fuel lighting off in your pipes. called RAZ
Old 08-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Teching In

k thanks guess im just gonna have to deal with it
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

You will always have some popping with the LM there is no Back pressure. However you may have cracked a spark plug when you changed your plugs. I did when I changed mine, and there was major popping. Turns out I cracked the ceramic on one of the plugs. I replaced it and the popping went away. Give that a try. However you will still have some backfires or popping with the LM any non restrictive cat-back reduces back pressure and will backfire on occasion. Good Luck let us know what you find out.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

the pop is somewhat normal, depends on what exhaust setup you have. I have almost none, and my car is loud. you could be setting of you knock sensor, if its that loud.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Teching In

na i checked the spark plugs and they are all good......its not missing or anything like that its just that pop once in a while when get on it then let off or shifting but i was thinking about changing the slp resonator to a good muffler to increase the back pressure but i love the sound to much lol