Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission problems

I need some help because everyone I talk to about this gives me the run around. I live in california and i'm trying to do everything emission legal so i dont have to hassle with putting things on and off every time smog comes around ne ways. Is there a emission legal long tube header setup for a 01 ss camaro? If so who and where can i find info?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Technically nothing but shorties with cats is emissions legal anywhere in the united states. California is just the most strict enforcement of this law.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Instead of doing LT's, I just did heads and cam. You can put on a set of ported heads and a stealthy cam and no one will be the wiser. You won't have to worry about getting someone to overlook the visual part for longtubes. If you have a 98 or 99, find a set of shorty headers used to go with the heads/cam. If you have a 00-02, just do heads and cam and you'll be plenty happy without the LT's. Or at least as happy as anyone could possibly be without longtubes.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Do a search on Patrick G. He used stock manifolds/cats, AFR heads and Thunder Racing's CheaTR cam to make ~396 rwhp that was cali smog legal. It's more work and expense than if you didn't have cali emissions, but that isn't such a bad option considering what you have to work with.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s.reis
I need some help because everyone I talk to about this gives me the run around. I live in california and i'm trying to do everything emission legal so i dont have to hassle with putting things on and off every time smog comes around ne ways. Is there a emission legal long tube header setup for a 01 ss camaro? If so who and where can i find info?
No.

There are no legal LT header systems for California.

Here's the thing.. IF (that's a big if) you can get a smog shop to look past the visual inspection, you can pass California Smog with LT's that have a decent catted Y-Pipe. The sniffer and OBD-II test is easy.. it's the visual that screws us over.

I pass smog with the mods in my sig. I have JBA shorties. I really want long tubes but I dont want to have to go through the hassle of finding a shop to look past the LT's or paying to swap out headers every two years.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On the subject of emissions, what needs to be done to pass the OBDII part with LT's and an ORY? Will it pass with 02 sims in place and the air system still hooked up?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01formula6
On the subject of emissions, what needs to be done to pass the OBDII part with LT's and an ORY? Will it pass with 02 sims in place and the air system still hooked up?
You can pass an OBDII plug in diagnostic so long as the codes are properly tuned out, sims are used for the rear O2's or you go ahead and keep air/egr.