Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating question................

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is kind of out of left field, BWTF. Try replacing your ECT sensor. It's a fairly simple resistance vs temp device, but if it's sending the wrong signal to the PCM, it could effect fan turn on just enough. The suggestion about putting in an "independent" thermo device wired to the fan relays could be telling, as well as a manual fan switch. None of this will cure an overloaded cooling system, but like you seem to think, I agree the stock cooling system should handle what you're running. -and I (with stock engine only!) have been caught on I-75 for hours behind a wreck and monitored w/Autotap and never saw excessive water temps, with AC running on MAX.
And another thought...even a scanner like Autotap or whatever is only going to see the temp that the ECT sensor says.......
Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gwj
This is kind of out of left field, BWTF. Try replacing your ECT sensor. It's a fairly simple resistance vs temp device, but if it's sending the wrong signal to the PCM, it could effect fan turn on just enough. The suggestion about putting in an "independent" thermo device wired to the fan relays could be telling, as well as a manual fan switch. None of this will cure an overloaded cooling system, but like you seem to think, I agree the stock cooling system should handle what you're running. -and I (with stock engine only!) have been caught on I-75 for hours behind a wreck and monitored w/Autotap and never saw excessive water temps, with AC running on MAX.
And another thought...even a scanner like Autotap or whatever is only going to see the temp that the ECT sensor says.......
I'll be at the dealer tomorrow, is this something I can replace? How much is it $$$?

How is it done and where is it?

But...the fans are kicking ***, running on HIGH, every time i pull over and stick my hand down there to check them when its hot.

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Also, where is the condensor and how big is it?

When I look up under the front end at the radiator I don't see anything but radiator.

My tranny cooler is on the passengers side in front of the radiator.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
This somewhat simulates stop and go traffic, but not as extreme. If I see temps in the 220-230 range after 5-10 minutes of idling after starting at "normal" operating temps, I consider this okay to go.
Man, I hate to complicate this thing even more..BUT...I can turn my A/C on full blast and let the car idle for 30 minutes in the hot sun and it'll never get hot. It'll stay below the 155 mark on the temp gauge, which for my car is cool.

The over heating only happens when I drive in the city.

Last edited by Quickin; 09-06-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

So, after pulling my heads off because I thought I had a blown head gasket, I think maybe I found out why I'm overheating. Could this be the reason?

My pistons, all 8 of them were caked up bigtime with burnt oil. I'm talking it was so thick that some of my valve eyelets on the pistons were almsot all the way filled in. I was told that this stuff will get hot and have red hot spots all over the surface and cause pre-ignition. Now, once this pre-ignition starts happening because the A/C was turned on and raised the temp a little bit (normal), will it kind of snowball out of control from there because of the pre-ignition and keep getting hotter and hotter?

Hoping that's my overheating problem.

Quick Reply: Overheating question................