Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster 40 series

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBIRD02
I've got 3" td's with the 1-chamber flowmasters. As a matter of fact, my whole system from the headers back is flowmaster. It sounds awesome!! I wouldnt trade it for anything. Everyone says it sounds like a cross between a 60's muscle car and a 5.0 mustang. I've gotten tons of compliments on the sound.
Did the exact same setup on my 02 Z28. Best sounding exhaust I've heard yet.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these on my car. Came off of the headers and put a crossover pipe in between the two sides, then 16" from the collector I have the two 40 series mufflers. From there, I have about 16" of pipe with turndowns on the end. They hang a little bit low, but I painted everything flat black and you don't really notice them. My car is a limited street/drag car, so I don't have any problem with clearance. The car sounds like a 5.0 Mustang on steriods and I didn't loose a bit of MPH over open exhaust and actually picked up some torque on the bottom end.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I ended up getting 2 of the little 1 chamber racing mufflers. The guy actually ordered an 80 series that had no chance of fitting under there. With the exhaust dumped out in front of the rear tires under the door its loud, DAMN LOUD, even with cats. Sounds great, but I think I should have thought about the whole being able to stand the noise thing before I had the pipes run right under the rocker panels. I wonder what to do to maybe quiet it down a bit without having to rework the whole beautiful job that was done to it. I also worry about possibly going to 2.5 inch pipe from 3 inch to possibly get true duals out the back???? Wonder how that set up would sound?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have a crossover pipe (H pipe)? That helped quiet mine down a bunch and picked the torque up a bit. Another option you might consider is put on the dynatech vortex cones in a turndown or car chemistry inserts (in Jegs) to quiet it down further - and they would be easily removable for racing. Just a thought.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes i already have an h pipe. I will look into the inserts.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Z28_98 did you have to do the bfh mod on the underbody of the car to get these to fit? If not can you show pictures of your clearance?
Old 09-17-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, no hammers, I know im a little slow with pics and sounds but working 3rd shift is a b***h. The low point of the whole exhaust is near the rear floor pans where the mufflers are. I'd say there is about 2 to 2.5 inches of clearance at the low point. Great for everyday drive but avioid speed bumps at all costs.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue01ta
LS1Z28_98 did you have to do the bfh mod on the underbody of the car to get these to fit? If not can you show pictures of your clearance?
I didnt do the bfh mod either, and I have 4.25" all the way around except at the muffler its 3.75". I have no problems with speed bumps, even with my gf in the car.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Launching!

JBIRD02, on the summit website, do you use part #FLO-15933? If not what part # is it? Is the whole system welded together, or did you have flanges welded to connect them to the LT's? Also, what about hangers, what are you using to keep the exhaust up? Sorry for all the questions, just really wanting to do this. Thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

JBIRD02, I would like to know the same as 99hugcam on the part #'s and some pics....I'm thining of doing the same exhaust but with a X pipe instead.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
JBIRD02, on the summit website, do you use part #FLO-15933? If not what part # is it? Is the whole system welded together, or did you have flanges welded to connect them to the LT's? Also, what about hangers, what are you using to keep the exhaust up? Sorry for all the questions, just really wanting to do this. Thanks
Yep, thats the right #PN. I just used regular band clamps on the collectors, the rest is welded together, and the muffler shop welded up some hangers in the back for me. It took like an hour to put together. The only problem you'll run into is on the drivers side, they'll either hafta bend a small section of tubing, or just use part of your Y-pipe w/ the bend in it to clear the floorboard. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted by SSBLUBYYOU
JBIRD02, I would like to know the same as 99hugcam on the part #'s and some pics....I'm thining of doing the same exhaust but with a X pipe instead.
Theres a pic on the 1st page, heres the rest of em.
Attached Thumbnails Flowmaster 40 series-p7190030.jpg   Flowmaster 40 series-p7190031.jpg  
Old 09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

JBIRD02, your duals look great...I realy think this is the setup I'm going with...although I'd rather have the super 40's but I don't think that they wil fit?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to but in on this, but. Maybe you guys could give me some advice. I have Kooks LTs, off road Y and a loudmouth. It's rediclous. If I was to throw a 1 chamber in place of the SLP resonator would it be worth it? Or, would the loudness of the 1 chamber and the drone be similar to the SLP resonator(without the drone)? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSBLUBYYOU
JBIRD02, your duals look great...I realy think this is the setup I'm going with...although I'd rather have the super 40's but I don't think that they wil fit?
thanks! as far as the super 40's go, i know they are 19" long (13" longer than mine) but I think the other dimensions are the same,(dont quote me on that) which means ground clearance wouldnt change. If you can get access to a lift you could get a good idea of what would work or not. Mine are mounted right under the rear seats which is the lowest point of the floorboard.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run your duals under the axle and out the back and it will make it much much quieter. So quiet in fact, that I am going to have mine redone so that I have the option of running them dumped or out the back. Here is a pic of mine. Yes, I know the tips aren't that great, i'm having them changed to C6 tips.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
There was a thread awhile back about a guy that ran the exhaust out the side of his car, I think his exited more towards the doors instead of the tires but you may want to do a search and find it.
yea that was me..it exits right at the door jam...could go back about 10 inches.

i got a lot of **** about it..but everyone thats seen it in person said its badass.

im putting a roll bar in my car..so while the car is apart im gonna cut the floor up and weld some pockets to tuck mufflers...my car is waaaaay too loud to drive around normally.