Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did the Sweet Thunder Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rufretic
I rarely floor it on the street anymore just because I don't want to blow out the ears on the person next to me.
Your alot nicer than I am. I do Atomic Supersonic fly by's every time I pass someone.
Hard to explain: but my favorite is how it has a "Harley chop" to it when you give it medium throttle from 2-4k rpms, sounds exactly like my fathers head/cam/bored Softail duece with Tunderhead exhaust. Only way you can tell us apart is mine is quite a bit louder...boy does that **** in his wheaties.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yea super speed fly-bys are fun. especially when people are walking by and not expecting it lol. Im considering changing my 4x9's to Sweet Thunder mufflers.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, I want to keep my exhaust a bit quieter, but still get that tone. I currently have Magnaflow with LTs and an ORY, but I'll be switching to 2OTL soon. Maybe I could put a Sweet Thunder in the I-pipe?.....
Old 09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

......... rrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMmmmmmmmmm....
^insert random blood curdling screams, old ****** staring and maybe even an "oh snap"

It's an everyday thing
Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
......... rrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMmmmmmmmmm....
^insert random blood curdling screams, old ****** staring and maybe even an "oh snap"

It's an everyday thing
A day in the life of skippytheloon..
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno Scotty, is there not any sound clips of stuff like LM resonators replaced with chambereds yet on LS1 sounds to base it on? Surely somebody has done it by now after all the posts about it. I know that GMMG uses the same style of chambered mufflers in their exhaust, but have never heard it in person since TSP is down the street with their duals and rumbler for cheap.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

I dunno Scotty, is there not any sound clips of stuff like LM resonators replaced with chambereds yet on LS1 sounds to base it on? Surely somebody has done it by now after all the posts about it. I know that GMMG uses the same style of chambered mufflers in their exhaust, but have never heard it in person since TSP is down the street with their duals and rumbler for cheap.
Yeah, there are plenty of people who have put chambered mufflers in place of Loudmouth resonators and such. But I would keep the 2OTL muffler in it's normal position and put a Sweet Thunder in the I-pipe.

Think it would sound any different?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could find a sound clip. Cause that is what I'm going to do after header's
Old 09-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Launching!

how does the true dual sweet thunder setup sound compared to GMMG w/ a catted Y and LT's? Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of switching. Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Launching!

I've heard tons of LT-->catted Y--->catback systems and there's not one that sounds like that of true duals...especially sweet thunder (I'm biased cause I have them )...although if there is one that's close, it's the GMMG.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

damn the thoughts of power loss over the muffler alone. HA! and to think my dads H/C setup made 420rwhp through a crappy 2.5in y pipe into 3in exhaust shop made I pipe back into 2.5 out the back. He has ALOT of power to be picked up in even a 3in y pipe w/flowmaster merge and 3in catback.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the sweet thunders are amazing. my 3in duals seem like overkill for my near stock motor, so imma get a set of 2.5 BNR true duals with a new set of STs soon.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
how does the true dual sweet thunder setup sound compared to GMMG w/ a catted Y and LT's? Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking of switching. Thanks
My buddy has that exact setup and is cammed as well. It sounds great but is very tame compaired to my sweet thunder setup. Mine is probly twice as loud. They both sound very good but mine is way louder. I want to get the cars together to make a better comparison, last time I heard his I was running the open cutout. His sounded better but the open cutout was louder. Now mine sounds just as good but is still extremely loud. I consider it too loud for a daily driver, maybe it would be ok if I wasn't stalled. I love it but I don't have to drive it every day.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Yeah, there are plenty of people who have put chambered mufflers in place of Loudmouth resonators and such. But I would keep the 2OTL muffler in it's normal position and put a Sweet Thunder in the I-pipe.

Think it would sound any different?
oh, I missed that part...with both mufflers it will be very quiet and I honestly dont know what the hell it would sound like.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
the sweet thunders are amazing. my 3in duals seem like overkill for my near stock motor, so imma get a set of 2.5 BNR true duals with a new set of STs soon.
dont shrink your exhaust to fit your motor...increase your mods to grow into your exhaust
Old 09-15-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
NO NO NO lol, dont go 2.5 unless you are going to because of ground clearance. It isnt over kill. Our engines flow very well, and can easily make power deserving of 3 inch exhaust with just a few mods. If you ever plan on upping the power at all, you will kick yourself in the future for not having done 3 inch.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya true but i dont see anymore mods comming until after winter, and while the 3in seem great for the topend it seems i lost some oomph in the down low. clearence isnt a biggie since the muffs are skinnier then bullets
Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Hey Scotty, I think that SLP muff would probably cancel out any tone you might gain with the ST. You could put one up close on the y with a cutout behind it! I ran around with one ST on the end of my y pipe with a turn down and it sounded mean as hell! If some one can host it I have a decent burnout vid with that set up. On a side note has anyone ever cut into the Gmmg muffs? I would be interested to see whats exactly inside those things. ..
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i haven't noticed ANY loss of low end torque. In fact, take a look into jrp's exhaust guide, and you'll see that increasing torque is all about increasing exhaust velocity and scavenging, and this is where the dilema comes into play... Larger exhaust piping can decrease velocity, expecially down low, but with the proper componets (dr. gas x-pipe, and qtp lt's) you can keep velocity to a maximum, with out comprimising your flow potential!
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't lose anything, felt like I actually gained from like 2k up when my car was at 345hp and didn't lose lowend with my cam either for that matter.
but I guess some ppl do or else they wouldn't still be preaching "duals and 23_x23_ cams cost lowend tq" all over the place, who knows.