Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backfire when A4 shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire when A4 shifts?

Just installed jethot LT on 02 SS with A4. running duals dumped at axle with 4 inch round by 18 magnaflow bullets on each side. (no crossover).... when hitting wot and A4 winding up, when tranny shifts I am getting what sounds like a backfire, or for lack of a better description a loud "cough" thru exhaust. installed new ngk iridiums with new msd 8.5 wires which all seem to be snug and installed correctly..... have never had headers, the car seems to perform well, but this backfiring sound for some reason does not sound "right".... any comments or is this just normal???

Old 09-16-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After installing my LTs and true duals, 18" bullet mufflers and an X pipe,
if I'm on the highway and keep the car in drive when I take my foot off the gas the car will sometimes backfire, and I'll hear a pretty loud pop.

pat
Old 09-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28pat
After installing my LTs and true duals, 18" bullet mufflers and an X pipe,
if I'm on the highway and keep the car in drive when I take my foot off the gas the car will sometimes backfire, and I'll hear a pretty loud pop.

pat
Mine seems to run good at highway speeds and idles smooth.... I get the "pop" only when I romp on it and A4 winds up and shifts hard which is accompanied by the "pop".... I just wanted to convince myself there was nothing mechanically or ignition wise screwed up.....
Old 09-17-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

get a tune, it should go away. Now the part throttle backfires on the highway will always be there.