Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP LT band clamp problem...input?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FLP LT band clamp problem...input?

Well, I just had my car up on jackstands in the driveway and was going to replace the cats with the offroad pipes that come with the FLP LT/Ypipe kit. I loosened up the band clamps and couldn't get the off to save my ***! Is there a trick or secret to getting these off? This will be the first time these clamps are loosened since install. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Andy
Old 09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that if you take a screwdriver and try and pry the v-clamp where it's lip meets the cat/off-rode pipe it will break loose. The v-clamp has three of these areas. Do one at a time. It now takes me about 10 minutes a side to swap cats/off-rode pipe.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have to use a screwdriver and pry around them to get em off. They heat up and seal on there and can be a pain sometimes. When I did have them off for awhile the raspy sound was real annoying and finally I decided to put them back on. I did notice the car was not tuned right when I removed them. I dyno tuned my car for wot and had the A/F perfect, when I removed the cats the A/F went rich again. I actually ran my best 1/4 mile time the day I put my cats back on.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

I usually put a screw driver on an edge a beat it with a hammer. Everything kinda seizes together with the heat. But I ditched that POS y pipe so I don't have to mess with it anymore.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did the same thing. I just sprayed them with WD-40 and let it soak in about 10 minutes and used the screw driver, and they slipped off.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, when I put on the race pipes instead of the cats I always sealed the clamp with aluminum tape from Home Depot. For some reason they leak a lot vs. having the cats in place, and the tape did the trick. $2.00 a roll.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the input. I will try and get them off this week sometime. If the rasp is too bad, the cats will be back on.

Andy