Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with choppy idle and surging

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with choppy idle and surging

Hey all,

2000 SS, MN6

Well here's the story, just changed the fuel filter, new SLP air lid (removed my Direct Flow, it was cracked), new air filter. I took off my MAF ends and just looked at them to make sure they were not dirty and the screen was not clogged. Oil change with Moble 1 10W30 and Moble 1 Filter (M107), new PCV valve and new plugs, NGK TR55 IX (Iridum) gapped checked out of the box at 0.57-0.58 left them they way they were. Also did a Seafoam treatment, sucked half the bottle slowly throught the PCV hose, let sit for about an hour and then ran the **** out of it. Not much smoke at all. I did this before I did the oil change and plugs. Oh yeah checked my EGR and the O ring that I replace 4 years ago was cracked replaced that with another o ring.

Now all of a sudden the idle is choppy (feels like a a mis or something) and there is surging when I'm starting from a stop only in first gear, and sometimes when I grab second. But the weird thing is that once I'm in gear and above 2000 rpms the engine is smooth, now burps hicups or surging. Cruising and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is also fine. Sometimes the surging upon acceleration is not that bad and sometime not at all, sometimes it's horrible.

When I was doing the plugs, on the drivers side I had to remove the 2 wire plug/sensor off the head right near the front of the head, and I did start the car with that unplugged (forgot to plug it in), what is this? Temp sending unit? Also on the passenger side I had to remove the AIR tube of the manifold to get to plugs #2, 4, 6. I did not replace the aluminum gasket. Also wire #8 gave me a hell of a time getting off I was under there for at least a half hour wrestling with this. Plug came out easy though.

I checked the PCV system, where i left the hard line PCV open to the air without the PCV valve installed and capped the Throttle body and it still had a crappy idle and surging. I re-seated all the plug wires except #8 (did not have time to put car up on jacks.

And last thing, this is the first time that i actually drove the car up on my Rhino Ramps, I usally jack up and put the car on the ramps. Well I can tell you that I know I burnt the clutch a little because when i got it up there, finally, I smelt buring clutch.

I already ordered new wires and replacement gaskets for the AIR tube to manifiold. I will check #8 wire today. But what else can this be. Please help

Obi Wan your my only hope.

Thanks
Nick F
Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would guess plug wire loose

Quick Reply: Help with choppy idle and surging