Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aluminized vs stainless

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aluminized vs stainless

Which is a better muffler to buy. The aluminized is 85 shipped and stainless is 115 shipped. Ive been reading (I did search) and nobody seems to agree. i dont want it to look like crap after the winter because it is my daily driver. If the aluminized wont look like crap id rather have the extra money towards the install. Thanks
Old 10-07-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blksbth11
Which is a better muffler to buy. The aluminized is 85 shipped and stainless is 115 shipped.
Are they the same muffler? Or two different ones?

Ive been reading (I did search) and nobody seems to agree. i dont want it to look like crap after the winter because it is my daily driver. If the aluminized wont look like crap id rather have the extra money towards the install. Thanks
The answer is quite simple.

Stainless steel is the better option, as it often looks better (if polished), but the main reason is it's anti corrison properties. It should in theory outlast the car. But you do have to pay to get it.

The alumised one, should outlast a regualr mild steel component such as a STOCK exhasut. But it will eventualy corrode and will need replacing.

I say if you have the money go stainless, unless you plan on getting rid of the muffler or car in the near furture, then it really doesn't matter if it corrodes.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are both magnaflow mufflers pn 12267 and 14267. If im only going to keep that setup for a year or 2 the aluminized should be ok then right? If its gonna rust real bad in that time period though ill go stainless.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

They are both magnaflow mufflers pn 12267 and 14267. If im only going to keep that setup for a year or 2 the aluminized should be ok then right? If its gonna rust real bad in that time period though ill go stainless.
depending on where you live, and your exact setup I would expect a aluminised one to last circa 5 years+.

How long did the stock one last? Remember that was just mild steel.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live around a lot of water, such as the coast or salt lake, then get stainless steel, other then that for a short term setup get aluminum, it will most likely be fine for your purposes.