Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid, Cold Air Intake, Ram Air ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lid, Cold Air Intake, Ram Air ?

Ok, I feel kinda dumb for asking this but after reading through everything I can find (even the stickys) I'm still confused. What forms of intakes can be used with each other and which ones are avaliable as only one or the other?

It seems to me from what I have read that a lid is basically a direct replacement for the stock air filter. They aren't that much different in design or appearence except for the increase in air flow. But if you get a Cold Air system, the air filter is moved to the bottom of the engine bay so there is no use or possibility of having a lid right? I have a 2000 SS, so if there was a CAI on that would that render the hood scoop useless or is it already useless?

I'm just a little confused on the subject. Overall the question is what I would want to do with my SS in regards to the air intake? I want to get my options in order. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lid isn't the air filter, it's the plastic piece that covers the air filter, you can have a lid without anything else, and you'll get around 10 hp.
The CAI is simply ductwork that directs the air into the filter, you can get that seperately as well.
You can also do the free ram air mod (cut the bottom out of the place the air filter sits) you can combine any of these mods with each other, or do them seperately.
As for the usefulness of the SS scoop, you'll have to get an SS owner to respond
I'd be a little cautious about the ram air ducting as there have been cases of engines getting hydo locked, not many, but enough to make it a slight concern depending on how much rain you get, and if the car is a daily driver or not
Old 10-31-2005, 09:50 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The scoop is pretty much worthless. Get the SSRA or the FTRA along with a lid.