Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing my Kooks 1 7/8" experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tom97ss
Time for some LG F-body Long Tubes

Yeah, now that comes up....if I hadnt plopped down the $1100 for these *******, trust me I'd make my own for the cost of the headache, unless of course I found LG's, QTP or someone else with 1 7/8".
Old 11-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

For the kind of money you pay for those things, it's criminal ... if it was some cheap *** brand, you'd halfway expect this kind of garbage, but for the top of the line, big bucks stuff, it's way beyond unacceptable. With all you've put up with from the beginning of this, I'm pissed for you ....
Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

I have QTPs and fitment is great and went in easy. That is why i like there multi piece y pipe so you can adjust it. For me a BFH is not an option on my car.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Order 66
I have QTPs and fitment is great and went in easy. That is why i like there multi piece y pipe so you can adjust it. For me a BFH is not an option on my car.

The Kooks come with a 2 piece Y Pipe as well, but the way it went, there was no room for adjustment really. How many pieces is the QTP Y Pipe? Since the Kooks is fitting like ***, and the I is pointing down, maybe I'll buy another Y pipe assembly and call it good.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CAT3
Well, other than the **** service which was posted in sponsor feedback and still didnt get cleared up...

I began installation of the Kooks today. Car on the lift, removed old Jet Hots, and True Duals, about 45min. Had to remove the starter, and oil filter, oil adapter thing above the filter, steering linkage.

Began install, pass side, slipped right in. The #8 bolt hole was not quite right, and verified by holding to a gasket...but it fits now Oh yeah, the pass side header has 1/8" clearance from the stock K Member, and not just the seam most ppl grind down either, the top rounded portion.

Driver side, HA HA HA HA! What a true PITA! Had to remove the entire motor mount pedestal with mount, jack the engine over towards the pass side as far as possible, and then it went in. Bolt holes lined up good though. Driver side collector once bolted down, rested on the floorpan, looks to be a bracing bar, so the BFH fixed that.

The Drivers Y pipe slipped on no problem, except the entire thing was rubbing the underside of the car! Great, more BFH and no more rubbing. The pass side Y pipe had to go to Midas to be expanded slightly, guess it wasnt checked prior to shipping, kind of like getting one header with an A.I.R. fitting and one race (ordered both race). Luckily Midas didnt charge for the 2min of expanding. And yep, wouldnt you know it, the ******* thing was rubbing the underside. By this time it was clean up at the shop, so it will be finished tomorrow. I will be capping off the Y pipe with a Magnaflow SS Bullet, one each, at least until the Corsa comes in.

In afterthought, check all slip fits before the day of assembly, and prepare for the headache of clearancing the floor for the larger tubes. Gosh I love this ****!

Charlie

Many thanks go out to my brothers, Andrew, Larry and Daniel!
dude i dont know what happend or why you had the probs you did..i went from 1 3/4 pace setters to 1 7/8 kooks...the whole thing took about a hour did not have to take anything off...thats weird i guess i got lucky...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Restricted User

6secNaLs1, I guess you did. I just went and looked at my brothers Y pipe, looks like mine is the ugly duckling of the batch. Too bad I had to cut part of the piping to get it to fit, or I would send the **** back.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damm I feel for you brother.**** Kooks Im going with 1 7/8 edelbrocks stepped.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Restricted User

Well, I put a new set of Fel Pro manifold gaskets in this afternoon. Started it up and within a minute, there was some nasty exhaust leaks again. So, I pulled the Fel Pro on the drivers side, only one leaking. Same spot, the #7 cyl has blowby around the seal. Great. WTF? So, I clean up the mating surfaces again, and install the gaskets supplied by Kooks AND the Fel Pro, figure might as well double stack them. I know there is a super thick gasket used for poor mating surfaces around, now I NEED to find it. I have to wait til tomorrow to start it, or else the neighbors will have me evicted. So, as the World turns and the kooks leak!

Oh attached on the first post are the pics, only a couple for now.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

damn sounds like another typical car parts story, they really are raping us with these prices, damn things sound like they are worth 200-300 bucks,

sorry bout that experience, I remember when I had to install SLP headers way back in the day I disconnected the tranny crossbrace and driveshaft and shoved a 2 ft long 2x4 up in the tunnel between the tranny and chassis, pry like a mfer and you can get some more room to install the headers, I wonder if that would help here?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Its ashame, I used to hear good things about them.
I was about to buy them in December when I get my bonus.
But from all the negative comments, I think I will go with QTP's instead.

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Kooks CS SUCKS!
Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

damn guys sry to hear about all your troubles! we have installed several sets at the shop and have always had to have someone else there to hold the header in the car while the other starts the bolts. both sides just fell in there. and all the sets were 1&7/8. never had any issues. and the ground clearance on the y pipe is great! mayb just got a bad batch?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Launching!

you cant cut corners putting 1 7/8 headers in. my kooks feel in like a glove. need to slow down on the install and unbolt both motor mounts and any thing else that bolts near them.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Restricted User

Finally broke down and I talked with George @ Kooks today. I described the entire PITA this has been etc. I listed every issue with the install, I left the missent Emission vs Race header alone although it sucks having one race and one with an air tube (not mine, Andrews). I covered the Drvrs side collector hitting the floor, the leaks around each of the drvr side primary tubes to flange, the leak around #7 cyl, the Y Pipe fiasco and more. He asked if I could remove the items and ship them back, at my cost, and then he will place them in the jog to see whats up. George said if its not right, he will make right and get me out the parts I need. My thing is, lets say the jig was off, or human error took over, I hope I will get reimbursed for the shipping, not like I am asking for labor of install, removal. I hate this ****, the car is my racer, but I also love driving it, whenever I want to..now I cant. I have to make the decision to pull the Y and the drivers header.....ugh.

I appreciate all the words of support. And question, how the hell do you get the headers in from the top? Is this a symantecs or do they literally drop in?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

we put all ours in from bottom.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Kooks CS SUCKS!
I have the same analogy I have begun to think my Z hates me or is just the in disguise. Kerosene would really give me that hot car I have always wanted. At least I wouldn't have to drive around and listen to those overated Kooks ratling on the k-member anymore. Whose got a lighter
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

QTP 1 7/8's are easy as hell to install/uninstall.... So I wonder WTF ?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
QTP 1 7/8's are easy as hell to install/uninstall.... So I wonder WTF ?

WTF is Kooks arent QTP's

And for the rattling, is that on the passenger side? I bet its right at the top outside corner, unlike many headers that are prone to be a little close to the seam.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Restricted User

My update.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/420148-update-my-kooks-issue.html
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

FWIW, I had to do everything you had to do AND pull my valve cover AND SLAM the thing in from the top!!! What a shitty design. Going from FLPs to these makes me wish FLP made 1-7/8 headers. Those things fit like a champ compared to kooks. But to reiterate, if I had it to do again, I'd choose ANYONE but Kooks, it shouldn't take 10 hours to do 1 side.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

man i havent heard one good thing about kooks, i am definitely going a different route