Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on custom y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ? on custom y-pipe

Hey guys I am getting a custom y-pipe from a buddy of mine. It is made to bolt up to stock exhaust manifolds & only has to weld in the i-pipe section. He had it made at a local exhaust shop for his now totaled 99' Z28. It was made w/o cats & without the flatened section on drivers side.

My question is will this actually pick me up some power or just change my exhaust note? I figure w/o the flat spot & cats it should be good for at least a couple until I could get my Headers & ORY. I just figured I would give this a try, since the part is free & only cost $30 at the muffler shop to have installed.

Any info is appreciated.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?????
Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me give you my horror story on this. i had my car dynod at 373 HP and 351 ft lbs of torque at the wheels. i have longtube coated headers and the custom 3"y pipe without the flat part. i gained some horsepower but with stock head and stock cam, you will lose a little torque. you need that backpressure. you will gain HP and you will have a better sound (i think).

and the bad part.

i lowered my TA 1.5 inches and now i cant go over a soda can.

the flat part allows for the exhaust to go between the ground and a piece of the body that is on the drivers side. it is so pathetic and ridiculous. i love the way my car looks now but i cringe whenever i attempt to go over a speed bump. you will not have as bad as a problem since you are stock height but it will hang low.