Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radiator question

Is there any differance between the v6 and the ls1 car radiators for the 98-02 firebird, camaro? There is one for sale on ebay, and I was wondering if it would be sufficient to handle my ls1 in my 88 formula. The one for sale is for a 99 v6 camaro. The auction ends tomarrow, please help.

Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

The V6 is probably smaller, but not sure. The one difference for sure is that the V6 doesn't have a steam vent return line. Based on my personal experience with my car, a well known shop failed to attach the steam vent hose to the steam vent return inlet on the passenger side of the radiator (flipflopped the hoses by mistake....steam vent line to the radiator overflow and radiator overflow to the steam vent line) I had serious overheating problems as have others.

Blocking off the steam vent line means the steam has no where to go whereas if its routed back into the radiator it is dispursed into the water in the radiator. I think it would be best if you got a radiator for a LS1 rather than have to solder in a return inlet tube on a V6 radiator.

IMO even the LS1 radiator is bare minimum capacity to handle hot climates like Kansas, Okalahoma, Texas etc.

To be safe, ask the question if the tube is there or not.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 12-05-2005 at 12:41 AM.