Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Y pipe

I have recently added Hooker LT's to my 2002 Z-28. The shop added a 3" Y-pipe w/ cats at the same time (I already had Hooker cat-backs). The shop took off a Spohn tunnel brace during the header install and left it off. They said that it would not fit with the new Y-pipe. It sounded to me like they had just done a bad job with the Y-pipe install. I need to get some kind of tunnel brace back on (the shop has not been much help). Has anyone else run into this problem with Y-pipes and tunnel braces? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

The only y-pipe that is supposed to clear a factory spec tunnel brace is Kooks. I put my Kooks LTs and ORY on and I still couldn't use my stock tunnel brace though. Makes sense to me though. It is very possible the spohn just won't fit.

BTW, a Hooker cat-back is different from a Hooker y-pipe with cats. The "cats" themselves are catylitic converters used for emissions purposes to clean up your exhaust. The Hooker "cat-back" simply means exhaust components from the cats back, hence the term cat-back.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Default Y-pipe clarification

Sorry, My wording of the question was a little sloppy. I had Hooker cat back exhaust before I started with the headers. When the shop did the header install they took out the stock Y-pipe and stock converters. When they put a new Y-pipe in they included new converters. The end result was the Y-pipe being too low for the Spohn tunnel brace to be put back. The tunnel brace was good, it helped keep me flat in the turns, even though I do have SFC's.

I hope this helps define my problem. I am just wondering how often people have trouble with tunnel braces after they put on 3" Y-pipes.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Most everybody I have seen on here runs without it cause it won't fit back on. As I said earlier, only the Kooks are "supposed" to work with a stock style tunnel brace. Sell your Spohn piece and check out UMI and invest in a tunnel mounted torque arm w/ integrated driveshaft loop. That'll solve your tunnel brace issues, and help you put your power to the ground better. Just MO.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The BMR tunnel brace has enough clearance. Others have used a stack of washers on the stock brace to gain the clearance.