Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open headers w/ no front 02's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Default open headers w/ no front 02's?

can i drive my car home from a friends with open headers and no front 02s hooked up???
Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best guess is no.

I am sure its possible, but I would never do it.

Just get them basterds hooked up!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

well the problem si that i dont have extensions and tomorrow is the only day i can put the headers on and i have to do it at a friends house......
Old 12-23-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

my best guess is no---the engine won't have any info coming in and will not know how to operate properly....MERRY,MERRY...etc.....
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes you can. I installed Hooker lts ORY with out cats last weekend. since then I have drove about 150miles without my O2 plugged in.

I just received my front o2 extension I just plugged them in.

This is why you are fine to drive.
first off no cats, LTs and no O2= a rich engine not lean!

When the computer detects that your front O2s are bad, it run in a default limp mode or loop. It richens not leans the engine. You will smell alot of extra unburned gas, but it is safe to drive. Just dont nail the throttle and dont drive for a long time like that. Get the o2 extensions. The computer richens the engine so much that you will smell the gas in the cabin and you will smell like it too!

Also think about this, with most cars having O2 sensers on them now, and we all know o2 sensors, go out. How many people park their once it happens, nobody. Instead many people drive them until they have an emissions or until they notice there gas mileage sucks. Your gas mileage will suck too, usually i could get about 160 by half tank, without the o2 i only got 120. Now that the o2 are plugged back in my gas mileage is fine, and the rich smell of gas isnt as strong but is still there since I removed my cats. Once dyno tuned the smell will be gone!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

well that sucks...o well i think im gonna do it anyway lol! im just gonna have to leave my car at my friends till i can get some extensions....hopefully not too long

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Old 12-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, it is possible. You can drive without o2 sensors. But the question is, is it worth it? You'll be doing more damage than you know. Not to mention if you are driving like that and happen to pass infront of an Law enforcement officer.....