Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switched coil packs?Rough idle!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched coil packs?Rough idle!

I did a few searches and came up with some info...but first, I recently finished up the engine and got it running but it is very rough and shakes, then jolts once in awhile. Doesnt look or sound very healthly! When i searched i found a thread about someone switching the coil packs to the opposite sides after a header install by accident, and had a rough idle and the same symptoms. Is it worth it to switch them to see if it humbles down a bit? Could it be vacuum leaks and what not?Its not a stock cam, its 224,228 .581,.588 and i have no clue how its supposed to run .
Thanks, Dave
Old 01-02-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Dave not an expert with cams, but I am sure someone will jump in who is.

However, no matter what cam you have, it should smooth out at some rpm and not miss, jump, or stumble.

If it does, I would check that your ignition wires are fully seated on both the coil and plugs ends, any broken plugs, etc.

As far as vacuum leak, put a gauge on it and see. High and steady needle should be at idle. Not knowing your cam, it alone could cause a low vacuum at idle.

Its usually the simple things that cause the majority of problems.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

The coil packs are the same, I believe that they can be put on upside down and that's what throws the sequence off.

Quick Reply: Switched coil packs?Rough idle!