Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of exhaust questions

hows it going? im looking to get a TA in the next week or so, but i have a few questions about the exhaust. first its a 99 so it still has all the EGR/AIR crap right? i was thinking about taking it off, but when i go in for emmisions, will they check to make sure its still there? and does it hurt preformance to leave it in there?
another question i have is reguarding headers. i have noticed that the pacesetter and flow tech hearders are by far the cheapest, what is the reason for that? do they not perform as well as some of the more expensive ones?
last question. i was thinking of doing true duals, what size piping should i have it made out of, 3" sounds really big for a stock car, but i have heard that it sounds the deepest/best.
ok, i lied, this is really the last question. would it be better to buy a premade system, or go to an exhaust shop and have them build it?

thanks for the help,
eric
Old 01-07-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redTAguy
hows it going? im looking to get a TA in the next week or so, but i have a few questions about the exhaust. first its a 99 so it still has all the EGR/AIR crap right? i was thinking about taking it off, but when i go in for emmisions, will they check to make sure its still there? and does it hurt preformance to leave it in there?
another question i have is reguarding headers. i have noticed that the pacesetter and flow tech hearders are by far the cheapest, what is the reason for that? do they not perform as well as some of the more expensive ones?
last question. i was thinking of doing true duals, what size piping should i have it made out of, 3" sounds really big for a stock car, but i have heard that it sounds the deepest/best.
ok, i lied, this is really the last question. would it be better to buy a premade system, or go to an exhaust shop and have them build it?

thanks for the help,
eric

-yes it has egr (98-00 do) all year f-bodies have air systems.
-it depends on your state laws, i live in florida so i can do whatever i want. ask some people in your area, the performance may be 1-3 rwhp so its negligable.
-pacesetters and flowtech are good quality, they just do not have quite the flow characterists of expensive ones. the difference is 5 or 8 hp at the most imo. so with a pacesetter you might see 25 hp and with qtp you might see 30 for twice the price. just depends to you if its worth it.
-i dont know much about true duals
-get a premade, they are designed and tested by professionals and you can many testimonials about them
Old 01-07-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PAacesetter preform just as well as kooks, but they're ceramic coated, not stainless. Kooks should never rust and last the life of the car. I can't say the same about Pacestters where I live. If you plan to keep the headers on the car for a long time please do it right the first time- stainless.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroextra
-yes it has egr (98-00 do) all year f-bodies have air systems.
-it depends on your state laws, i live in florida so i can do whatever i want. ask some people in your area, the performance may be 1-3 rwhp so its negligable.
-pacesetters and flowtech are good quality, they just do not have quite the flow characterists of expensive ones. the difference is 5 or 8 hp at the most imo. so with a pacesetter you might see 25 hp and with qtp you might see 30 for twice the price. just depends to you if its worth it.
-i dont know much about true duals
-get a premade, they are designed and tested by professionals and you can many testimonials about them
Yep, Florida kicks ***
Old 01-09-2006, 07:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Most places around here wouldn't know what to look for as far as EGR and AIR. Removing them makes spark plugs easier to change. I won't say that pacesetter headers suck, but if you are looking for every last drop of HP and want your headers to last, a set of Kooks is the way to go. I wouldn't do 3in. for a true dual on your car. Do you want to dump it before the axle or come out the back?