Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Running RICH

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Running RICH

Installed Headers a few weeks ago and since then car has been running rich. Listed below is what was done.

SLP Headers/ORY Pipe-No CATs
02 Sims Used
No Tune, Didnt think it was needed.

I had a SES Code For O2 Heater Malfunction (Bank 2, Sensor 1)., Replaced O2 Today and still have same issues.

Car is stumbling at idle and running so rich I can smell gas on my clothes when I go inside my house.

I understand that running Headers without Cats will cause the car to run rich but mine is terrible.

What can I do to fix this, Thanks Guys.

NR
Old 01-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Check your intake system, make sure nothing is clogged, blocked off, open, etc. Then check all your emission devices, AIR, EGR, etc. Make sure those are all plugged in and connected correctly. Also, might want to get back under your car and look for an exhaust leak. If you are getting fresh air into the stream before the o2 sensor, you will be giving the pcm a false reading. Others will probally give you some better suggestions but it's a good place to start.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

BlutVonSchwachen, Thank you for your help. The AIR system is removed from the car and I believe that I capped all the vacuum lines. If I can remember right there was only one vaccum line and I capped it.

Its an 2002 z28 so I dont have an EGR, I do however have an exhaust leak in the Y-pipe, after the cat deletes (1' from the O2) so maybe thats causing a false O2 reading?

The car stumbles at Idle when hot, drops to 300 rpm then back to 600 rpm. The IAC was cleaned a few thousand miles back....

The car runs rich as hell, my quadrabog Buick never ran this rich

Thank you for your help so far!
Old 01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do you have a hunting idle? Or does it only drop down once?

The exhaust leak may be causing it, not sure how much of an effect it would have though. Do you have a dvom, voltmeter, dso, or anything of that sorts that you could read the voltage off of the o2?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

When I stop at a light the rpms drop to 300 or so rpm then jump back to 600 rpm. It will drop once then return to normal idle. I have a Fluke from college that I could use to read the O2 signal....
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Flukes are good. When you get the time, backprobe the o2 positive wire with a T-pin and read the voltage. It wont be very accurate as the fluke wont be able to update quick enough for the pulse changes but it will give you an idea of what the sensor is doing. Might as well check both banks too. Also, you may want to go to autozone and find something that you could cover the leak with, one of those cheap wraps for instance. Then check and see if you are running a little leaner or not. I do advise that you dont use anything like the wraps for a final fix or anything, but instead get the leaks sealed with a good weld.

Im not sure on your idle problem, mine will do something similar but on a steady decel it will loop the rpms. Might ask some of the other guys on this forum for some help on that part. It might be related to your rich, im not positive on that though.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Teching In

I plan on going to the muffler shop tomorrow and having them make new cat delete pipes.

For the hell of it I went outside an hour ago and reset the PCM and drove the car around town and it ran like crap at idle and whatcha know the SES light is back on. This has all started in the past couple of days, the headers have been on for a few weeks....

By the way, does anyone know the length of the cat delete pipes used on SLP Headers/Off Road Y-Pipes.

Thanks for help, its appreciated.