Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLP Radiator

Hi
I am about to install a novi 2000 on my 01 SS .
But i have to buy a few things first for the project.

I would like to know if the SLP Radiator is worth it? ,
I have to buy a Procharger fan shroud and a Spal Extreme 16" fan ,
but i hear that because the shroud blocks off half the radiator from air passing through it , that i might need also a thin pusher fan on the front of the Radiator and maybe even but a better radiator.

SLP claims that there radiator has 50% bigger core area,
Whats this mean that it is thicker? wider? Anyone using a SLP Radiator?
does this radiator hold more fluid ? , Is this just a LT1 Radiator?

Please help me out
thank you very much
Old 01-14-2006, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed one durring my Procharger install, glad I did. I have had a few heating issues on some very hot days, in stop and go traffic. But I think this is due to the 10% underdrive crank pulley. Not spinning the water pump fast enough. Also I am planing on mounting 2 small fans on top of my intercoolers to try and lower inlet temps.

Yes radiator is a bit bigger, as for holding more fluid I am sure it dose. As for a Lt1 radiator I think you are correct there as well, have heard that in the past.

As for a front mount pusher fan cant tell you the outcome there, have a buddy that has one and has no problems at all. But he's running a MUCH bigger radiator as well
Old 01-14-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Does the SLP have the trans cooler built in like the stock one?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I would like to know to? IMO the SLP radiator probably doesn't hold any more coolant, but has more coolant tubes, the end result being that the surface area due to the additional tubes increases the cooling capacity by 50 percent.

Please chime in if that is wrong.

As for overheating, I live in Kansas so the temp in summer reach the 100's.
As a result I had overheating problems with the stock ATI fan.

Part of the problem is that the ATI doesn't flow enough. The other is that the bypass valve recirculates the intake back through the head which increases the IAC at low speeds or when idling (stoplights) rather than blowing it off into the atmosphere.

To attempt to fix I installed a SPAL Extreme 16 inch and also a SPAL 9 inch puller inch fan and I vent the bypass to atmosphere. See pic of additional 9 inch fan.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dlands...ec.jpg&.src=ph

But the car still jumps to 210 (I have a 98 with a real temp guage) when I idle the car with the AC (stoplights). The coolant will start to cavitate (as if its boiling). BTW I have added water wetter (it didn't help).

What are my options to maintain 185 when idling?

Replace the stock radiator with a high capacity radiator like an SLP or BeCool.
Replace the tranny cooler with one with a fan (supposed to drop temps by 20 degrees) and relocate from in front of the AC radiator.
Install a puller fan on the AC radiator.

What I have noted is this.

The car jumps to 210 when the air is on. Why? Because super heated air is drawn through the AC radiator directly through the radiator. Turn off the AC and the temps drop accordingly. The AC radiator air temps on the back side jump drastically measured with a RAYTEC temp gun when I turn the air on.

So I think puller fan mounted on the front of the AC radiator might help as it will draw air to the front and blow it off rather than going through the radiator.

But will the puller fan negate the effects of the SPAL Exreme puller on the back side of the radiator? Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Restricted User

I think the Spal Extreme 16" fan in the Procharger shroud and a pusher on the front , with the SLP radiator should keep temps at 185-190