LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   How to prevent leaky headers??? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/444007-how-prevent-leaky-headers.html)

squealingtires 01-27-2006 09:35 PM

How to prevent leaky headers???

I'm putting on the long-tubes shortly on my WS6. Any advice to prevent exhaust leaks from the header-head interface? Anybody ever silicone their headers in and say heck with a gasket? Right now I've got Edelbrock ceramic shorties in with some high temp Copper RTV sealant. No leaks except it killed my 02 sensors right away. I guess "Sensor Safe" silicone doesn't exist or maybe the fact that it was burning contributed to the problem. Anyways 9 months later and no 02 problems and no leaks so I suppose the RTV burned away completly.

What do you guys suggest? Should I buy some gaskets? What brand? Or should I silicone those babies in there and swap out some "slow switching" 02 sensors for a couple hundred miles till it burns any excess silicone away.

On another thought. Silicone and paper are pretty good insulators and could contribute to lower head temps.

Let me know what works best.

KilerTA 01-27-2006 11:46 PM

Just go with a set of oem spec gaskets from the dealer or from anywhere that sells gaskets for your ride. :)

TheBlurLS1 01-28-2006 12:41 AM

OEM gaskets get my vote as well. They are like a 3 piece stamped gasket. There is a little ridge formed into them that crushes when you bolt the flange on so that it conforms to and seals with the head.

Make sure to use some never-cease on the bolts when re-installing them, and make sure not to over torque.

227Hawk 01-28-2006 08:44 AM

OEM metal gaskets sprayed with Pematex 'copper spray a gasket.'
I sprayed my OEMs, reused the originals. And never had a hint of a leak.
Hawk

MadBill 01-28-2006 09:47 AM

And re-torque them regularily until you no longer get any movement...

bichin95redta 01-28-2006 03:26 PM

I've installed two sets of Kooks long-tubes on WS6's. I used GM OEM MLS exhaust gaskets both times, and never had a leak. I never re-torqued the bolts. When I ordered the headers, the guys at Kooks said the GM OEM MLS exhaust gaskets are about as good as it gets.

When I re-assemble my engine (it's outta the car getting new heads, cam, intake, timing chain, & oil pump), the Kooks will be installed using ARP header studs.

GM Muscle 01-28-2006 06:25 PM

:werd: Stock GM gaskets work awesome. I put my headers on and I never had to touch the bolts again. No leaks at all.

Ωmega 01-28-2006 06:31 PM

same here. Stock gaskets, but I check mine every now and then...Never had any of them loosen what-so-ever.

mrhzk35404 01-28-2006 06:32 PM

I bought a set of fel-pro gaskets and they worked great. The one thing good about these over the stockers are the two end holes have slots that you can start the bolts in and slide the gasket into place.

hondo 01-28-2006 07:30 PM

a couple snips and the stockers can be slotted too:)