Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a stupid mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about a stupid mistake

Last night, after fiddling around under the hood, I started my car and took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood (about 500 yards). While I was going around, the low coolant light comes on. Pull the car in the garage, pop the hood, and there's coolant everywhere. Evidently I forgot to hook the coolant lines going through the TB up Car never got past 110*, didn't drive it for more than a minute. Was still a good bit of antifreeze left in the radiator when I checked earlier this evening, so I filled it back up using distilled water. After connecting the TB coolant hoses, I left the radiator cap off and started the car. Let the air bubbles come out of the radiator, filled it until it was full, repeated until the car was at operating temps. Few questions, though.

1. Is it normal for the coolant level to surge slightly while the car is running? Every 3-4 minutes, the coolant level would go up slightly, from the bottom of the neck on the radiator, to right to the very top where the cap goes on. Seemed to be completely unconnected to anything else.

2. As the engine warmed up, I got a pretty nice steam bath. I'm assuming this is from the coolant and water cooking off the engine and hoses it was sprayed on (it's been chilly here, so nothing really evaporated).

Do I have anything to worry about here? Didn't see anything suspicious in the oil indicating a blown head gasket, car ran fine after the radiator was filled back up, ect ect. Just want to see if there's anything else to check after making a mistake as stupid as this
Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it didn't overheat, you should be fine.
Just fill up the coolant, and go on your way (you may need to burp the system to get all the air out)
Be aware you may smell coolant for a few days, maybe even a week, due to the coolant cooking off
Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that after a TB swap for some reason, must have got air in the system depending on what you were doing maybe?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Mine did that after a TB swap for some reason, must have got air in the system depending on what you were doing maybe?
Well, I know I got some air in the system from when I pulled the coolant lines off doing my intake swap. I'm sure I've put more air in the system from pulling the coolant lines off the TB various times. I think I've pretty much gotten all the air out of the system, but just wanted to make sure there was nothing else I needed to check or do to ensure everything was ok.

As a side note, I think Dex-Cool smells almost as bad as old dirty gear oil.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. You might want to get the 50/50 ratio of antifreeze and water back in the system since alot of it got puked out and replaced with straight water. Just a suggestion, I know it can get kinda cold in WV.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Teching In

1. This is the result of your thermostat opening and closing, its normal.

2. Just the water evaporating, might burn the eyes a lil with the coolant. If the engine never got hot, nothing to worry about.