Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Trans
Hey, thanks a lot JBIRD02! Awesome post and thanks for the pic!
Now I just need to decide if I'm going with the 3" in/out or the 2.5" in/out.
Obviously, the 2.5" will save me some clearance and fit better, but I wonder if it will cause a restriction. Kinda worried about that, so I may just go with the 3"......especially since the TSP Rumbler is 3" itself.
Thanks a lot for all of your input guys! I really do appreciate it and I'll let you guys know in the future what the setup sounds like!
I gotta get me some new tires first though.....which=new wheels. Thats gonna take up most of my money first, unfortunately
No problem
Old 03-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

The Powerstick Mufflers do sound different than Sweet Thunders, I ran ST's during the prototyping period when I was developing Powersticks. I thought ST's sounded very "raspy" because of the huge louvers they use in the flowpath. Powersticks are VERY deep sounding, with minimal backrapping or crackle.

The unique thing about chambered exhaust is that it "tunes" sound waves unlike oval mufflers or glasspacks (the Dynomax Bullet is a small body cavity glasspack & absorbs minimal dBA's). My 3" versions ARE AGGRESSIVE! But, if you are still running your catalytic converters, they should be tame enough to drive any time. The short 2.5" Powersticks worked wonders on the 2003 Cobra Mustang at SVT Engineering 2 years ago - Ford people wanted them to go OE on these cars but the Ford dBA drive-by limit killed this idea. That car sounded AWESOME!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i must admit that it sounds NICE with LTs and ORY, just got it all put on last week. you can't hear the choking like you could with stock manifolds/cats. very throaty and loud. but no less, i think i'm gonna switch to a powerstick in the i-pipe and place the sweet thunder on the back end of the rumbler (exits the driver tailpipe). should sound just like the GMMG.
I thought about doing that too! Having one in the I pipe and one in that crossover pipe that goes to the passenger side. Let us know how that turns out!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Powerstick. How does the overall body length affect the sound?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Here's my Powerstick video http://s95410392.onlinehome.us/JBrd4.../RichZ_rev.mpg
Excuse the smoke. I later found out my maf was dirty and that's why I was running way rich.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Launching!

AWESOME man! What size Powerstick are you running and I take it thats on stock cats/manifold???
Been waiting to hear that for a while, thanks!
Its hard to tell just by the clip how it sounds, but it sounds pretty bad *** judging by that clip.
Your tail pipes are shakin!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Zedder, my rule of thumb is the longer the better sounding - it depends on what will fit your intermediate pipe area. The more length & crimp (tuning) areas, the better sound it will produce. The crimps cause a soundwave "bump" that produces a unique tone.

Hey Rich, that does sound very good! Can I add it to my website? Send me an E-mail letting me know if it's OK.

muffler@classicchambered.com

Maybe we'll start a revolution or something! The exhaust revolution. There's no reason our late models can't sound like the bad-*** musclecars of old! -Eric
Old 03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

So, the longer, the better sounding? hmmm does the length effect the noise level at all though?
Just my own opinion, you'd think the longer the Powerstick, the more quiet its going to be.....any truth to that?
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Longer = a little quieter, but not a lot. '69 Camaros ran 4 chambered muffler sections from the factory. All my 3-inchers are AGGRESSIVE, but not overpowering with cats in place.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Powerstick, do you have any decibel charts you can add to this thread with the various Powerstick lengths and diameters? Just telling us how it sounds ain't enough.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Well, let's see. They sound great, & they outflow a Flowmaster by about 300%. What else is there?

As far as measuriing dBA levels, I have not done any scientific evaluations or benchmark testing. There are SO many variables involved, that even if I did the testing & provided data, it would be minimally useful to any one of your particular vehicles. I will say this though, a Dynomax Bullet is good for about 2-4 dBA noise reduction, which is very minimal noise reduction. The Bullet is nothing more than a glasspack with a small body cavity, which means a very small space of CRF packing & NO sound tuning whatsoever. The 3" versions of the Powersticks will range from 4 dBA noise reduction, to approx. 8-10 dBA on the longer version. Sound level is subjective, so I don't guarantee the sound quality.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rich Z
Here's my Powerstick video http://s95410392.onlinehome.us/JBrd4.../RichZ_rev.mpg
Excuse the smoke. I later found out my maf was dirty and that's why I was running way rich.
My mind is made. I want Power stick. That made me tingle inside. Thanks for the vid. Now I just need to decide on 3" 16 or 20. What would the difference in sound be with both?

Quick Reply: 1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!