Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is tuning necessary

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is tuning necessary

I'm about to start my mods and I'm installing jet hot LT with magnaflow cats. I've heard that the car runs rich after this. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly does this mean and most importantly, does this hurt the longevity of my engine. I don't want to spend $450 on a tune to get an extra 3-5 hp if its not going to hurt the car to run rich.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have headers and am didn't get a tune. I am waiting for a cam to go in sometime in the future to get tunned.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:23 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running rich (AKA running fat) means the car is getting too much fuel for the air it's recieving. I drove my car for 1 year with headers and dumped duals with no cats, untuned, and it was fine. 90% of the people on here with boltons do not have a tune.

I would not worry about the tune untill you go with a cam or some other internals. You can however find a speedshop that does lifetime tunes, so you can pay now, have the simple tuning done for the headers, then go back later for another tune after the cam. My buddy gained like 10rwhp/15rwtq with tuning after kooks headers and catted y on a 2002 z28.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Doubtful that the car will run so rich that the computer can't keep up. You may smell more gas coming out the tailpipes but that's how it goes with some mods. If it's too rich, again doubtful, it could cause fouled plugs, etc. which always lead to poor performance and pissed owners. I wouldn't think you'd need it yet but most always after a cam swap. Save the money up; it's a good investment up the road.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So basically it won't prematurely destroy any internals of my engine by not being tuned. I guess you guys are saying I'll just be getting less gas mileage than I'm used to. Is this right?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RealLiveMD
So basically it won't prematurely destroy any internals of my engine by not being tuned. I guess you guys are saying I'll just be getting less gas mileage than I'm used to. Is this right?
No it wont, and yes it will!

Your car will be fine, but your pocket book might take notice. If it's anything, it wont be much. I get about the same gas mileage now with my cam, tuned, than i did with just full exhaust, but untuned, which is about 17mpg. This is VERY low when compared to others around here, and has more to do with my lead foot than my choice of modifications.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
No it wont, and yes it will!

Your car will be fine, but your pocket book might take notice. If it's anything, it wont be much. I get about the same gas mileage now with my cam, tuned, than i did with just full exhaust, but untuned, which is about 17mpg. This is VERY low when compared to others around here, and has more to do with my lead foot than my choice of modifications.
What mpg did you get before the exhaust?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldn't do LT's until I had enough money to get a tune and do it right. That's just me though. You will gain much more than 3-5 rwhp also. Money shouldn't be a problem, you're a real live medical doctor right lol???
Old 02-21-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

From what Ive seen it doesnt throw off the part throttle and low rpm stuff too bad. Where you will almost always find the rich condition is higher up in the power band.