Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Volant CAI or SLP lid with new filter?
Voland cold air intake
21.93%
SLP lid with a new airfilter
78.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

best intake......

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lid, doesn't matter which one, they are all the same. I got a Whisper and K&N for $50, but I may get one of these Amsoil filters, the K&N is kinda dirty.

Blake
Old 03-22-2006, 11:09 PM
LS1Tech Editor

I'm running the SLP lid and free ram air mod. Eventually when I can save some money I'm gonna go with the Super Sucker Ram Air (SSRA) that has a scoop underneath the front bumper. I believe its called the Austin Green Ram Air now though.

Food for thought
Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Teching In

what about a voland and a ram air box thing to go under the front to collect air? wouldnt that work great or what?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Madmax054
what about a voland and a ram air box thing to go under the front to collect air? wouldnt that work great or what?
Good thought. I just got a FTRA off of another member and I will try this first with my volant air box. And then try it with a lid setup and the FTRA in place.
It will be about 3 weeks or so until I get my car up and running.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Madmax054
My Volant intake works great! It's sealed to my hood and allows the air entering my TB to same temp as the outside air. My TB stays cooler too. I can pop my hood after driving for a good distance and easily place my hand on the TB. It's a little warm, but nothing remotely close to hot.

BTW, I haven't rerouted my coolant lines passing through the TB either... yet.

Marc
Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

hey nytmare1 and chaman, please post pics of your T/A with the ws6 hood closed and then open! Thanks Mike
Old 04-19-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

i just installed the FIPK on my SS and pulled the SLP cai off of it and installed it on my stock TA and i was impressed with the jump in performance. at the time i installed the FIPK i also put in another new cam (f14) pulley meizer pump so i couldn't tell if their was an increase or decrease in performance but the next mod is going to be to cut out an opening in the sheet metal under the k&n filter.

i hear what some of you guys are sayin about how some of these intakes are sucking in hot underhood air but im not sure if that is such an issue since the vehicle is in forward motion there would be alot of cooler fresh air coming into the path of the intake and engine compartment and that is where i got the idea of cutting an opening in the sheat metal under the filter on the FIPK where the slp cai used to be.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by boone94
hey nytmare1 and chaman, please post pics of your T/A with the ws6 hood closed and then open! Thanks Mike
Here you go

Old 04-22-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by boone94
Mine looks just like chaman's, but without all the bling. The only badge I have is the standard Volant badge. Oh... and I have red filters instead of the blue.

Marc
Old 04-22-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Bling??? what bling??

LOL!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Hey I just installed a magnaflow catback on my 00 t/a and wanted to ask you guys what would be the best setup for me? I was thinking of getting a ram air box, because my t/a isn't ram air right now, slp air lid, then a 85mm slp MAF, a smooth bellow, and I have my 85mm bbk tb, and and just got my slp ram air hood. With the 85mm tb and ram air hood, what should I get for the money I would be spending on the lid, MAF sensor, bellow, and air box? one more thing, should I take out the baffle if I do a lot of highway driving? thanks and hope to get some info!
Old 05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

If you want to see if a particular setup is working, look at your IAT temps. In our testing, any system that relied on underhood air had a significant increase in temperature compared to ambient.

Check out www.installuniversity.com for their testing on the FTRA. They had an 11 degree drop in IAT temps with the FTRA installed. Ignoring the other benefits of the FTRA, an 11 degree F drop in intake temps results in 1 % more power. Now add is the increase in VE and fuel economy and I think you will see why the system is so popular

It's on sale for 159.99 right now by the way

For the best performance, you do need an aftermarket lid. A smooth bellows and ported TB will work well with the system as well.

Make SURE you have a positive seal for the best performance. Most people forget this step and they are leaving a lot of HP on the table.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
If you want to see if a particular setup is working, look at your IAT temps. In our testing, any system that relied on underhood air had a significant increase in temperature compared to ambient.

Check out www.installuniversity.com for their testing on the FTRA. They had an 11 degree drop in IAT temps with the FTRA installed. Ignoring the other benefits of the FTRA, an 11 degree F drop in intake temps results in 1 % more power. Now add is the increase in VE and fuel economy and I think you will see why the system is so popular

It's on sale for 159.99 right now by the way

For the best performance, you do need an aftermarket lid. A smooth bellows and ported TB will work well with the system as well.

Make SURE you have a positive seal for the best performance. Most people forget this step and they are leaving a lot of HP on the table.
Hey that's good to know but were the IAT readings taken with the car moving?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that the tests were done with the car moving. Pretty cool (no pun intended).
Old 05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Hey that's good to know but were the IAT readings taken with the car moving?

Edit: Nevermind. I see that the tests were done with the car moving. Pretty cool (no pun intended).
Of course..the ram air kit would have no advantages if the car was not moving.

On a side note, the ram air kit also cools off the IAT temps faster when the car goes from sitting to moving than the factory set up, free cold air mod and SLP set up.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want to see if a particular setup is working, look at your IAT temps.

Great point. My IAT's are +- 2*F of ambeint at speeds > 30mph with the Volant (dual cone w/ gutted WS6 hood). Somehow I missed the FTRA when I was looking for an intake. Would have given it a shot had I found it then.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Great point. My IAT's are +- 2*F of ambeint at speeds > 30mph with the Volant (dual cone w/ gutted WS6 hood). Somehow I missed the FTRA when I was looking for an intake. Would have given it a shot had I found it then.

The sealed volant looks like a good system (isolates engine bay heat). The only negative I can see from it is that the stock hood scoop is far too low to be catching any high velocity air. There is a boundry layer of air above the hood off the front bumper which doesn't really touch the car again til the windshield. That's why any really fast NHRA cars have the scoop up so high on the vehicle and back in the 60's-70's, manufacturers switched to cowl induction from forward facing scoops.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will definitely be purchasing one along with an MTI clear lid as soon as my rebuilt tranny gets put back in my car.

How do you go about thoroughly testing for a positve seal?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

k&N FIPK all the way!!!! my lil' LT1

Last edited by Camaro94SS; 06-20-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

I have the FIPK. The rumor/myth that it sucks in too much hot air...IMO, is true. My car just flat out runs hotter since I put it on. For comparison, in the summer, the car feels alot more sluggish than when I had the stock lid on it.

The car does not pull nearly as hard in 3rd or 4th. I have an SS, so what little ram air I had is completely gone and I could tell right away. The car used to be a beast in 3rd and 4th...not anymore.

The only advantages I can say about it are it feels a little stronger in 1st and 2nd (which usually go up in smoke anyways) and you get the cool open intake sound.

If I could do it over, I would have just gotten a lid.

Like somone mentioned before, I plan on cutting out a big chunk of the metal panel under the filter, that might help a little, maybe even see if I can rig some type of ram air into it.

But like others have said, the fact that it is not sealed, I think is a problem.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Import Patrol

I had both set-ups on my car. I like the lid better though

Volant

Lid