Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WORTH DESCREENING STOCK MAF.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WORTH DESCREENING STOCK MAF.

2000 TRANS AM IS ANY POWER GONNA RESULT FROM DESCREENED MAF. Please help dont want to screw it up.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: WORTH DESCREENING STOCK MAF.

thanks for the info
Old 06-21-2002, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that the screen is there to keep trash from destroying the wires on the MAF, and also to smooth the flow a bit so that the MAF does not give an erroneous reading. I put a SLP MAF on mine and it came with a screen on it. I have been happy with the change, putting the B&K TB on required the Maf Translator to tune in with Autotap, as I did not have LS1-edit at the time.
Anyway... it is your choice... if you can get a spare stock MAF from the wrecking yard cheap you could try it and let us know how you make out, and if it does cause problems, you can easily put the stock one back in.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Read the posting above about a guy who modified the MAF and the SES light came on.. is it related.... maybe.. maybe not... just some food for thought though...
Good luck...
Old 06-21-2002, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Take the screen out. Unless you are running without an air filter too, no crap is going to blow up in there and destroy the wires. I'll also bet that any SES light that goes off after the de-screen is due to a bumped wire (be careful of them) inside the MAF. One thing though, some cars like it, some cars don't... some cars it doesn't matter too much either way. I vote for my gains/losses to be more temperature related than anything else.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The screen is not in their to prevent damage or junk from going into the engine. It reduces turbulance across the maf sensor. If you remove the screen the sensor looses some accuracy because the air is more turbulant. Poeople remove it because it can give a small gain, couple hp max. To me the accuracy is more important thing, than a couple hp.

Gary