Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got my catch can in :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been running them for over a year now with no issues on a supercharged vehicle with no problems yet
Old 03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
Whats the temp on the Oily air? Max temp for this husky is 125 degrees. just checking
The temp of the air entering the catch can will depend on the length of hose between the PCV and the catch can inlet. FWIW, I originally mounted this same husky separator to the ac line next to the radiator. This gave me about 12" of hose from the PCV to the separator and also left the sep exposed to engine heat. I'm sure it exceeded its 125F max. I even left the moisture filter inside the separator. Never had a problem with it, and by looking at the clear lines I used, it never let oil into the intake.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

moisture occurs overnight everyonce in while i have noticed and the oil will turn yellow, then it seperates and I usually just empty it, you can see on my websitem i have it located near the a/c condesor and the oil i get ou you can see on page 1
Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh there is a filted on the inside i took out of mine
Old 03-21-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

little more info!!! The oil you see usually goes into you intake manifold and Kills performance & will make you motor smoke motor
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

i cant find it on home depot anywhere what is it under??? what the hell is it called i searched catch can and nothing and looked at husky on to find tools.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

search this Model HDA70600AV
Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sent him a PM..I went and got one today. they had a bunch in stock

If you search online it under Aircompressor and accessories page 4

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 03-21-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Man I'm thinkin bout doin this...So this is good even on a stock motor eh?

Why would they design the motor to have oil go in the intake?? even it its not designed that way,how does oil get in the intake?? I mean if the intake gets air from the lid,where the hell does the oil come in??

I never did/had a performance car,so I'm not to experienced in doin the work so...

And could someone post a pic of where exactly the hose goes in and out of the intake....is there a tube going in the back of the intake or something...Why would the intake have tubes or holes in it anyway....I thought it was just there to direct the air flow in?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by bootleg<detroit>
Man I'm thinkin bout doin this...So this is good even on a stock motor eh?

Why would they design the motor to have oil go in the intake?? even it its not designed that way,how does oil get in the intake?? I mean if the intake gets air from the lid,where the hell does the oil come in??

I never did/had a performance car,so I'm not to experienced in doin the work so...

And could someone post a pic of where exactly the hose goes in and out of the intake....is there a tube going in the back of the intake or something...Why would the intake have tubes or holes in it anyway....I thought it was just there to direct the air flow in?
It gets in through the PCV system, which stands for Positve Crankcase Ventilation. It basically vents the pressure as it builds inside the crankcase due to combusion gasses blowing by the piston rings. Since this vented gas is made up of exhaust gasses and atomized oil, it would be "unsafe for the environment". It is vented into the intake manifold (not the air intake lid) to be re-burned and hopefully make it through the cats and out the tailpipe.

It leaves the motor from the valvecovers and travels through a hose, past a PCV valve, and into the intake manifold right behind the throttle body on the passenger side.

The "husky" is an "air/water" seperator normally used for air compressors to seperate the water out of the air before it gets to your air tools. The water can cause their guts to rust and stuff like that. In this application, it's simply seperating the atomized oil from the air/oil mix that's passing through.

As for use on a stock motor, its a perfect investment. The "blow by" increases as your motor gains miles.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 03-21-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Sweet thx. Blur,cleared that right up for me!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

I even left the moisture filter inside the separator.
wait for you guys take out a moisture filter in the husky catch can. thats the white filter in the center correct isnt that what makes it seperate the oil tho? i actually bought the craftsman one from sears, havent installed it yet but i thinki will asap

Last edited by rgaynor85; 03-22-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dansredz28
little more info!!! The oil you see usually goes into you intake manifold and kills performance & will make you motor smoke motor

hey thats my drawing!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
wait for you guys take out a moisture filter in the husky catch can. thats the white filter in the center correct isnt that what makes it seperate the oil tho? i actually bought the craftsman one from sears, havent installed it yet but i thinki will asap
In its original application the filter is for moisture, not oil. Oil vapor is much heavier than moisture vapor and will condense easier. What separates the oil from the air is the change in direction the vapor has to make to go through the separator and then into the intake. Also the length of the line going into the separator helps to cool the vapor enough to condense the oil as well.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

heres mine

only about a 12" hose, but it works good. NO oil is coming out the "out/exit" side and getting the intake not even allitle film or residue.

Quick Reply: I got my catch can in :)