Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on FAST vs Nick Williams 90mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on FAST vs Nick Williams 90mm TB

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma. I am going to be doing the 90mm TB upgrade on my Radix and after pricing different options I decided to try and pick up a Nick Williams 90mm TB. I found a member here that sounded like he was selling a NW TB. I PM'ed him, with the subject "NW 90mm", everything was fine till today, when I found out it's actually a FAST 90mm TB.

I have not heard a lot of good things about the FAST throttle bodies, lots of complaints about the blade sticking open and such. This is why I decided to stay away from them. On the other hand, I got a reasonably good deal ($350 shipped) on the FAST unit, and the seller tells me that he has never had a problem with this particular TB.

I am well within my rights to send the FAST TB back to him if I want. The main reason I would send it back is because of the problems I have heard with FAST (which he assures me he has not had). The reasons I wouldn't are twofold: 1. I got a good deal (I think), 2. FAST looks like a 3-bolt setup, and I think I will probably just have to ream out the lower two holes to get it to fit, rather than convert to a 4-bolt pattern.

What do you guys think? Keep it or send it back? Is it a decent piece except for the sticking problems?

I have heard nothing but good things about Nick Williams, is the NW piece that much better? I read somewhere that they sell a 3 and 4 bolt setup, so if I got the right one it doesn't sound like it would be that much work to fit. Is it worth the extra price?

My goal in this post is not to single out the seller (if it becomes an issue, I will address it then, but I don't think it will be. The TB is in transit to me at the moment, so I don't actually have it yet), I believe there was a miscommunication, I just want to know if it is wise to use the FAST or if I should send it back and wait for a NW.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Whichever TB you use, you may want to look at this guy's work. Not sure if it will help or not on your truck, but looks like the easy way to convert to 90mm.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...84&forum_id=86
Old 03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Ha yeah grippy has done a few very thorough write-ups on performancetrucks.net about that same thing. They recommended the UMI 90mm throttle body but at $500+ it seems a bit steep. I'm going to send you a PM about your TB.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

This is what I plan on doing, cheaper and I won't have to wait a week to have my J-tube modified.

http://performancetrucks.net/forums/...ght=90mm+radix
Old 03-21-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sorry for the communication errors. I will make you this deal, when the TB arives try to make it stick as it sits or if you have any issues w/ it in the near future I will refund the money. I bought this TB from a member and he assured me it never stuck. I also slammed it from open to close and it didn't stick (since I too had read about the fast TB's I wanted to make sure it didn't stick). But like I said I was not trying to misrepresent this TB in anyway. My confussion came in when you PM'd me asking if I still had my TB, Honestly I am going back throig my PM's and noticed the subject was NW 90mm TB. This is the thread I thought you responded to. Again I apoligaize for the confussion and let me know what you want to do. Thanks, Mike

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=90mm+TB
Old 03-21-2006, 02:45 PM
High on diesel fumes

Hey thanks for the reply Mike, I am definitely not trying to discredit you at all (wanted to leave names out altogether), I understand it was a miscommunication, and I really appreciate your concern. Let me think about it and get some opinions from various people and I'll make a decision on what I want to do.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No worries, the miscommunication is all on me anyways. Personally from the limited testing I did on the TB I think it will be fine but like I said if you're dissatisfied with it please let me know and we'll reslove it. Please shoot me a PM and let me know. Thanks agian
Old 03-22-2006, 02:24 AM
High on diesel fumes

Anyone? NW vs FAST?

Let's throw UMI in there as well....

UMI vs NW vs FAST....thoughts....come on guys I know there's a bunch of you out there...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Do a search on the NW tb alot of good things. I have been tb shopping here lately. Another one to throw out there is the Accufab 105mm The UMI is suppose to have unsurpased driveability although you pay the price for it.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a fast tb and haven't had any problems with it thus far. It was originally my friends and he bought it when they first came out, it started sticking on him so he sent it back to fast and they fixed it somehow and he never had a problem with it again and neither have I. So I'm assuming they are aware of this problem and have corrected the sticking on most of the TBs, I'd say do it.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

if you do get the fast 90 and it end up sticking it it a easy fix to the spring. if it is a good deal jump on it. most of the newer fast 90's doon't seem to be having the problems the older ones did.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

I have a NW, but only because there was a hellacious wait time for the Fast TB last year. The Fast "sticky" TB has an easy fix.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM
High on diesel fumes

What is the easy fix? The spring?

The other thing I have heard is that the FAST part-throttle / low speed driveability is not that great. Anyone have thoughts on this?

UMI was recommended for excellet part-throttle driveability.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I have heard that the UMI is just like driving a stock throttle body. Plus, I guess it picks up power vs. the FAST. Thats what I would go with.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Launching!

The UMI 90mm TB appears to restrict part throttle just like a factory one. I made mine without the ridge in it because everyone removes it in the factory one when they port them. I do have a design that would behave like the factory one at part throttle, but made it the way I did because it seemed that everyone wanted to make the throttle response as quick as possible.

Nick
Old 03-24-2006, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zspot98
I am sorry for the communication errors. I will make you this deal, when the TB arives try to make it stick as it sits or if you have any issues w/ it in the near future I will refund the money. I bought this TB from a member and he assured me it never stuck. I also slammed it from open to close and it didn't stick (since I too had read about the fast TB's I wanted to make sure it didn't stick). But like I said I was not trying to misrepresent this TB in anyway. My confussion came in when you PM'd me asking if I still had my TB, Honestly I am going back throig my PM's and noticed the subject was NW 90mm TB. This is the thread I thought you responded to. Again I apoligaize for the confussion and let me know what you want to do. Thanks, Mike

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=90mm+TB
FYI the FAST TB's that i have dealt with that stick don't stick cause of the blade hitting anything, they stick because its a bad design and the actual air going past the blade is what holds it open. ie: they only stick when the car is running.
Also if you decide to keeop the FAST TB, keep a close eye on your TPS perctentages. My FAST 90mm TB cause me to blow a motor cause the shaft wasn't long enuff and it messed with the TPS sensor. At idle i SLOWELY started giving it throttle and the TPS didn't register any change till about 2400 rpm's. at WOT it read 100% just like normal but would throw my computer out of PE mode and jumped timing to 34* halfway don the track.
34* on a 100 degree texas summer track day = boom bitch.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nick Williams
The UMI 90mm TB appears to restrict part throttle just like a factory one. I made mine without the ridge in it because everyone removes it in the factory one when they port them. I do have a design that would behave like the factory one at part throttle, but made it the way I did because it seemed that everyone wanted to make the throttle response as quick as possible.

Nick
I think for all out racing where all you are looking for is a on off throttle, yours may be better flowing. But for the street, you have to have throttle progression otherwise the car has a tendancy to lunge at the first crack of the throttle. If anybody has the UMI throttle body, maybe they could chime in here and let us know how it compares to the stock throttle body.

Even on the power deal, there was a thread on here by W2W where they picked up power by going from the straight bore Fast to the parabolic shape of the UMI. I think they said 4 horsepower.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
High on diesel fumes

Well it sound like I should go with the UMI or NW, and avoid the FAST TB.

Mike, I will send you a PM about returning the FAST TB.

Thanks for the replies everyone.