Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Problems ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oil Problems ..

OK First off i just recentally got Mac Headers and got rid of the air and EGR , and blocked it all off , gutted the cats and put a Mac ORY in , with the Flowmaster 80 series muffler.. my car is Running Really rich , My cars an Automatic 4l60e.. "JUNK" but when i punch it down from a 35 roll it Puff a really big cloud of black smoke , and my air fuel ratio is set to 12.5. Now my question is within a week period i lost 2 quarts of OIL.. but it dont drip onto the ground at all ... it really hasnt done this before i got my headers the most it would do would leak a haft of quart every 3000 miles ... now im thinking that the only time it leaks is when the car is driving down the road ... but if anyone has any ideas i would like to hear back from you ... There looks like there is Oil leaking from around the oil filter , but i already checked that out and theres not a problem with it leaking from the Filter ... Now i also noticed oil flying all the way back to the tranni , so it gotta be leaking from when im driving , but im not really sure where at.. Please give me some Advice ..
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

I was having the same problem with the oil getting out and on the tranny and bottom of oil pan, the oil pan gasket was the culprit and my speed shop fixed that now no more leaks. also what grade of oil are you using??? 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-30,5w-40????
Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

im using a 10w30.. synthetic blend
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

try fixing the oil pan gasket and trying some Mobil 5w-40 Truck/SUV, or German Castrol 0w-30 its hard to find but if you do USE IT.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

now question , in order to fix the oil pan gasket i have to lift the engine up correct ? it would be a pain ...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

I like my 4L60E, and I believe you've seen my car at Kroger last summer.

Anyways, have you checked the obvious like a double-gasketed oil filter? How about the drain plug either working loose or missing it's o-ring gasket? I've also seen the oil pressure sending unit have a diaphragm go out internally, causing leaking along the oil line. It doesn't make any sense that your car will spontaneously start losing two quarts of oil as quick as it does, nor just have a "bad pan gasket" unless you somehow damaged it with the header install.

You're more than welcome to come by and we can take a look at it, I'll also Autotap your car to see if I can pinpoint the excessive rich condition too.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thanks Anthony ... i think i remember talkin to you last year at kroger on east broad , but hey i had Lee Howie put my Mac headers on and i dont think he tuned it right or anything ... but it also seems to be like after i got my headers on it started leaking more as far as the oil is concerned ..... so who knows ... i've been up to east main a few times this year .. its just im going to really drive my TA until i figure out whats going on with the oil ...