Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Question

i have a slp lid right now on my ls1 with bellow. does anybody think the k&n fipk would make a descent difference for the money id have to fork out on one?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastjarred98
i have a slp lid right now on my ls1 with bellow. does anybody think the k&n fipk would make a descent difference for the money id have to fork out on one?
I guess the k&n will save you money in the long run as they are cleanable filters.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, a lid performs very well and a OEM paper filter can flow enough air for upto 500bhp n/a

Also I personally don't like K&N cotton weave filters much, sure the flow well but only when clean. They clog up faster than a paper filter does and become less efficent with the more dirt retention they have.

So you need to clean and re-oil a k&N more frequently than you need to replace a paper filter. This means that it will probably cost you more than just buying paper filters.

In addition there is not likely to be any 'significant' gain if there even is a gain at all. If you want to do it for looks then it's a different matter. The Volant setup is IMO better as it at least attempts to seal the filter away from the engine bay.

If it were me I'd spend the money on something more worth while.