Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP LM + ?Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget without cats, many shops will give you hell and not work on your car as I have found out. ;-)
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

I know it. That's why I'm having my friend do it up. He was the one that worked on my 89 Iroc, and customized it to not have cats. Then I'll have to drag it into the shop afterwards to get it tuned. And pay their outrageous prices. How much should I expect to pay for a tune?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to tune for just exhaust, the only thing you'll need is to remove the rear O2 sensors and emissions coding from the PCM. Should cost about $70 from any tuner. Unless you can live with the SES light until you need to tune for other mods.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I know with just exhaust I won't need a tune. But knowing me, I will most likely end up with LTs and ORY as well. Then I will need a tune won't I? When I bought the car it came with a Hypertech III. I wouldn't be able to use that would I?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

ORY just means you have to get the rear O2s deleted. If you don't it'll just throw an SES code, no effect on performance.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have pacesetter LT, ORY, and LM.... and im replacing the loud mouth with a GMMG chambered exhaust. It is loud... and I like the loud, but its the drone and raspiness that I dont like. If you are going to go with no cats ... I would at least get the bullet muffler for the LM or go with a chambered setup. Once you remove the cats the raspy sound is bad. At least IMO.

I get lots of complements on mine as it is from car people. I think mainly cause it is just SO loud. Driving it daily, the tone just gets on my nerves. I need a deeper more musclecar sound. Right now it sounds alot like a chevy truck with headers and straight pipes. Which is pretty much what this setup is.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Black2kWS6
Yeah, I know with just exhaust I won't need a tune. But knowing me, I will most likely end up with LTs and ORY as well. Then I will need a tune won't I? When I bought the car it came with a Hypertech III. I wouldn't be able to use that would I?
You won't need a tune, but if you don't plan on anyother mods soon it may be beneficial.

Handhelds are pretty pointless. Best bet is to have it on a rolling road, aka a chassis dyno. They will then tune it with a custom tune. There are several different software packages out there (LS1Edit, HPTuners, EFILive) and they are all available to buy if you want to be more serious and do some of the tuning yourself at home with a lap top.

Are you M6 or A4?

Having your own tuning software can be great espcially on an auto as you can mess around with the shift points and lock up when you get a different torque converter.