Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much install time on SLP Headers & LS6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much install time on SLP Headers & LS6 intake

Hey everyone, I have all the tools and garage space needed to do the work I just haven't ever attempted anything like this before. I have a guy who will install these parts along with my converter and cam package for a $1100 bucks but I would like to save a couple hundred and attempt the Headers and Intake myself. I have the complete SLP header write up but was wondering on a scale from 1-10 the level of difficulty accompanied with it. Also, how much time am I looking at spending on the install?

Also, the same with the LS6 intake. Is there a write up for this install as well? Will I need to get new gaskets or can I reuse the old one? How much time should I expect this to take? Thanks guys, just trying to save a few hundred so I can get this cam swap underway!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the headers and intake your self. The intake will have new gaskets in it so you dont have to buy new ones. When removing the intake, take the big vac line off the brake booster when your ready to pull the intake forward take you hand and follow the vac line behind the intake, it will go behind the (plastic) oil pressure sending unit dont let the hose brake the sending unit. Here's some more info for you.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5
Old 04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't bought the SLP headers, I'd suggest another brand. SLP's have really bad ground clearance. There are much better options out there like Pacesetter, QTP or Hooker.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already bought the SLPs. I paid 250 shipped for the SLP LTs and an SLP ORY so I think I got a hell of a deal on them.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and two of my buddies did my longtubes and offroad y in his garage on jackstands....it took us about 9 hours to do everything including the 02 extensions and spark plugs and we took a break for lunch, goofed off a little bit, lol. not a bad install...