Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 or LS6 Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 or LS6 Intake Manifold

Which is better getting a ported ls1 intake manifold or ls6 intake manifold?

The best bang for the buck I'm guessing is the ported ls1, but which has better flow?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: LS1 or LS6 Intake Manifold

You can't really "port" these plastic intakes very much. The LS6 is a better intake across the rpm range.

Moving to External mods section.

-Tony
Old 08-20-2002, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd go with the LS6 less problems with porting a LS1 and they flow good already.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

What they said, I just did it this weekend and the car felt noticably stronger. But then again, I have heads and cam.

If yours is a stock/bolt-on motor, I don't think the time and money you'll spend installing will net you much. Other things you need to consider when going to the LS6 intake is whether to make it work with your EGR system or delete your EGR system. Either way, if you elect to stick with the EGR, you then either need to buy an LS6 intake already converted to use EGR or you need to buy another adaptor and convert it yourself. If you choose to delete your EGR system, you then either need to send you PCM out to have the EGR turned off or you need to find someone with LS1 Edit to turn it off for you.

Then if you decide to go with the LS6 intake, you have to spend another $30 or so for the coolant bypass tube and about $10 for the two back block offs.

Not worth it for a stock/bolt on motor and I haven't really factored in the labor cost if you choose not to do it yourself.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I was also thinking about upgrading from the ls1 to the ls6 intake and was woundering if it was worth it?I need one because my EGR hole is all screwed up.. Also I was woundering what the point is to block off your EGR tube ?? would i gain any HP with a LS6 intake... if i take apart that should i go with cams and heads too??
Old 08-21-2002, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a non heads and cam motor the $300-400 you'll spend in parts and the time you'll spend installing it probably won't be worth it.

The purpose of the EGR system is to inject unburnt air/fuel from the exhaust stream back into the intake under light to mid throttle applications. Under full throttle acceleration, it has no affect on anything.

If you remove your EGR system, you'll need to turn it off in your PCM also. Otherwise the PCM will try to turn it on when it isn't there, causing rough running as well as throwing a code.

If you elect to keep it (as I did), you're either going to have to get a LS6 intake with the EGR provision already installed (such as SLP unit) OR you'll need to buy an LS6 intake and and an EGR adaptor (I got mine from Lingenfelter) and engineer your own EGR plumbing on the intake.