Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about QTP

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about QTP

I am thinking about getting QTP. I have a lowered 2000 TA. What do I need to buy? o2 sims, etc? Also, what is the best place to purchase this stuff. My mods so far are, Lid, Borla, Venom N20. Installing a cam in summer.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you lowered stay away from slps. The qtps will tuck nice in the car,kooks are another option if you want stainless that fit tight. If you are getting a tune you can pass on the sims and have the dtc's tuned out for the rear 02's. Get stainless band clamps for the collector to Y pipe conection. Also a new set of GM mainifold gaskets, dont use the paper ones that come with the headers.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

2000 cars come with a metal header gasket that you can reuse as long as you dont bend it when you take off your old headers.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Also, Do I need a Y-Pipe too? or use the existing one?

Conan how do you like your Kooks? any problems? rust..etc.

Also, do people usually run with CAts?

Thanks for the replies all

Last edited by tonydepo1; 04-05-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydepo1
Also, Do I need a Y-Pipe too? or use the existing one?

Conan how do you like your Kooks? any problems? rust..etc.

Also, do people usually run with CAts?

Thanks for the replies all
Yes you will need a y pipe. As far as cats, do you have a emmission test in your area?? If not get a off road y pipe and ditch the egr and air system. If you have a emmission you will have to get headers with the egr and air fittings and run a catted Y. My kooks: I love them fit and finish are top notch. My car never see's rain or snow so mine look like new, But I've read of alot of people with them on there daily driver and have no issues. Witch ever you decide to get (QTP/KOOK's) you wont be disapointed.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love my Kooks, they slid right in. All I had to remove was the dip stick to get to a manifold bolt. Here's what I bought for the instal.

GM manafold gaskets (like stated above, you can reuse the old ones but I figured what the hell)
O2 extensions
O2 Sims
2 sets of AIR gaskets
Made a set of AIR restrictor plates
Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can still run a catted Y with race headers, thats what i have with my kooks LTs. removing the cats will make it sound alot more raspy...which some people like.
when i ordered mine, the person told me I needed O2 sims even though i said i was getting it tuned, so I have never used them but have them sitting around, if you need a pair, pm me.

oh by the way i have a borla cat-back also and running it with the open plate...i dont think i would like it without the cats, but thats just my preference, its already loud as hell.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

by the way.... i ordered my qtp headers like seriously.... 9 weeks ago and they still arent here.... not happy AT ALL... kooks might be your best bet. I better nto have to wait another week for these retarded headers...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Another one not happy with my long wait for my qtp headers said they were suppose to be here this week called them up and my new scheduled date is april 12th, I better be happy with the results especially spending $1200
Old 04-06-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slowls1
Another one not happy with my long wait for my qtp headers said they were suppose to be here this week called them up and my new scheduled date is april 12th, I better be happy with the results especially spending $1200
no way... you too? APRIL 12TH?????? wtf... that is just terrible.... i hope the rest of there services arent this slow either... i ordered mine in fking feburary... ya i spent 1400... got the qtecs
Old 04-06-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Regular

I am also waiting on my QTP's that I ordered through a local shop. The guy at the shop said that QTP makes a new batch every 6 weeks. And if you are not in that batch you have to wait untill the next batch is started and shipped. I am sure you will be happy, before I ordered mine I got to look at a pair that they had at the shop. The build quality is outstanding, the welds are great and even, all the pipes are even where they meet at the collector, I can't wait for mine!

Back on topic, I have heard of people still having problems with O2 sims so I would suggest getting it tuned after you install the headers. If you go with the QTP headers you can order them from their site (check the right they are a sponsor). And I just picked up a new pair of gaskets from a Chevy dealer just down the street. They were about $12 each so I figured my not replace em while I am in there

~Alex
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

I guess the wait is long because Im also waiting for my QTPs....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

waiting here for like 6 weeks now.

I will continue to wait though since these are great headers!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

I got mine from the for sale section. New never ran with a dual cut out Y pipe for 950 shipped. I hope they are here by the weekend!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

If you want perfection you will have to wait. I ordered my QTP's direct from them when they first dropped the price of the 1 3/4" HVMC and I ended up waiting for close to a month to get them. But after I installed them and saw my results, I wouldn't have done it any other way. The only part I am not satisfied with is their ORY. Even after we pushed it up as close as possible to the floor board, I still manage to scrape on steep inclines and some speed bumps. At the moment I have nice big dent in the drivers side. At any rate, just have patience, it will all be worth it once installed.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

QTPS are the way to go. Best in the business in my opinion. I have had 0 problems with them so far. Also, buy new header gaskets, the gm metal ones, they are only like 16 dollars, and you can get them just about anywhere you get the stainless steel bandclamps you will be getting anyway... worth it not to have to pll the headers off and replace the gasket....
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Another unhappy QTP customer here. I waited over 2 months for my headers. They just keep on telling us that they are delaying and they can't keep a promise on a date. First from late Feb then to Mid march then April 1st and now still no headers.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I was lowered when I put my QTPs on and the collector sat unacceptably low. I've since gone back to stock springs and now it's fine. Not only that but the bottom primary on the passenger side sat on the K member so I had to bend it to clear. Besides that the quality, install, and performance is exceptional. Be prepared to possibly change your ride height tho.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by weestro
I was lowered when I put my QTPs on and the collector sat unacceptably low. I've since gone back to stock springs and now it's fine. Not only that but the bottom primary on the passenger side sat on the K member so I had to bend it to clear. Besides that the quality, install, and performance is exceptional. Be prepared to possibly change your ride height tho.
What springs was your car lowered with? I thought that the QTP's give exceptional clearance even on lowered cars. I'm not sure if I want to go that route again on the Firehawk. My Trans Am has LT Jet Hots and true duals and I have to be so cautious when driving around. I think I might get QTP's, but keep my ride height stock.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Launching!

I had read everyone saying that so I thought it would be ok. I was lowered with a prokit and built 3" duals reduced to 2.5" after the X. With a coke can under the car the bottom of the collector was about at the middle of the can. There is a way to use the stock springs and still achieve mild lowering. I run 315's and they don't look 4x4.