Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual mounting quest. needed ansa ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True dual mounting quest. needed ansa ASAP!!

I got my true duals in and somewhat on today but The brackets for the mufflers to hold them up where do they mount? I have the TSP with bullets and the hangers they come with I have no clue where they hang from i tried to see if they fit anywhere and they dont. I need help ASAP I gotta get the car back on the road tonight.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

u drill holes in the floorboard where you need to mount the hangers, on the area where the lower part of the back seat is. i took out my rear seats(the lower part only), cut a slit in the carpet, to be able to feed the bolt through after i drilled. also be careful when u drill so you don't wad up the sound deadening with the bit. if possible, cut a slit first and pull the carpet and sound deadening before drilling. just hang the mufflers where u think they go and drill. make sure that your rear axle isn't hanging. support it. i didn't and my duals hung rediculsy low the first try. since i remounted, i have excellent clearance. don't have any pics of my install tho
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man it doesnt look like it lines up anywhere but ill give it a shot thanks for the help.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

You have to bend them to where you need them to go.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok thanks guys thats a big help, am I suppose to get directions or bolts for the hangers with it or what?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Teching In

The rear hangers did not come with bolts. Also you dont have to cut the carpet- just pull the rear seats out and move the carpet to the side just enough to drill the holes. Its alot easier with someone else helping. Oh yeah and try to lift the mufflers up as high as you can when drilling the holes.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

could you weld the hangers to the undercariage of the car?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000BLKSupersport
could you weld the hangers to the undercariage of the car?
You could, but it would cause alot of unwanted vibrations.

Mike
Old 04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i don't see how welding would add vibrations. you would weld the same thing that is bolted. however i wouldn't weld it cause if you ever want to take off the exhaust, you would have to cut the hangers.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech Resident

When you bolt it up should you use some rubber gromets or washers to cut down on the vibrations? I ask because I'll be putting mine on in a few weeks.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
i don't see how welding would add vibrations. you would weld the same thing that is bolted. however i wouldn't weld it cause if you ever want to take off the exhaust, you would have to cut the hangers.
Most hangers use a rubber grommet to take up vibrations... If you simply weld a metal hanger from the floor pan to exhaust it will vibrate the hell out of the car at various rpm's... I thought it would be alright & bolted my duals up through the floor like they are talking about, but didn't think grommets would be needed.. Man was I wrong, you could feel the virbration from your feet to your ***... Added a couple grommets between the washers & problem solved.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Whoa, hey a TSP TD thread!!
Checkout my sig for my complete TSP TD install writeup!!

No but seriously,
I wrote up my whole install and took pics if your interested, its in my sig.
It may help answer any questions you have.
I think the vibrations come mostly from the resonance of the exhaust on the ground and backup on the body than anything else.
Hell that's whats' setting off car alarms, heheh
As far as rubber washers, keep in mind that the bolt going through the hole in your set wells is vibrating agains the hole itself so a rubber washer won't dampen that vibration any.
It will a little from the ends that are securing the bolt, but not the actual shaft of the bolt inside the hole, know what I mean.
Rubber washers prob help, but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time, money and effort to get them on there.

just my op.

DJ
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Place a jack under the dumps and jack them up as high as possible. Go the the hardware store and get some 3/8" bolts about 1-1.5" long and look for their selection of FENDER WASHERS. Fender washers are HUGE with a small hole in the middle. Using these on the inside of the car will keep them from yanking through the floorboard if something should happen.

Quick Reply: True dual mounting quest. needed ansa ASAP!!